Load scale advice please

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

immy21

Load scale advice please

Post by immy21 »

As per tuning guide I am trying to adjust the load scales before I play with the fuel and timing maps, I have done some logs at desired boost which is around 17-18psi on my S14a, usual HD 1a mods with SS manifold and 99 octane but stock injectors and MAF. Max TP used is around 135 but I want a little head room incase I fiddle with boost, have a minor boost leak, for when we say hello to our winter etc.

Since I have no tuning experiance I decided to look at the stock load scale pattern and follow something similer with no sudden jumps:
Stock from 10 to 112
10 16 20 24 28 32 40 56 60 64 72 80 88 96 104 112
10 +6+4 +4 +4 +4 +8+16+4+4 +8 +8 +8 +8 +8 +8

So what I have done is:
Mine from 10 to 144
10 16 20 24 28 32 40 56 60 64 72 84 99 114 129 144
10 +6+4 +4 +4 +4 +8+16+4+4 +8 +12 +15 +15 +15 +15

Probably better seen in a pic:

That should hopefully get me started, then im sure I will change it for more or less resolution in certain areas once I become more familier with what im doing. I assume I only need to change fuel and ignition load scales and then leave alone the 3 RPM scales.

I am trying to fiqure out an easy way to 'squash' the map so it accesses the correct parts of the map between 10 and 112 considering the load scales have been changed, it looks like it doesnt automaticly move the map with the load scales, sooo...
I swear I must be doing something backwards or being really thick because I cannot fiqure out a quick and easy way in how to fill in the fuel and ignition map values for the 10-112 load region on my rescalled maps :?
Does that make sense? Im sure there is a simple solution to such a basic problem, please share!

I understand anything past 112 will be 'new terretory' as the stock map would simply hit the end of the scale, I have a good idea how to fill in those values and then obviosly hit the road/dyno and map that section.
TM_S13

Re: Load scale advice please

Post by TM_S13 »

sounds correct to me.

don't forget to alter the Load Cut (TP Limit) too...

apart from that... I'm not quite getting at what do you mean by filling the map...
you are disabeling the O2 feedback prior to tuning right?
immy21

Post by immy21 »

Iv not done any tuning yet, only logs to see what TP im hitting and yes tp limit has been removed/maxed so iv not had to disable the 02 yet.

What I mean is on the stock map at at say for example at 112 load and 4800 RPM it will access 9.55 cell (target a/f)
However on my rescaled load on the fuel map, at the same load 112(114 closest one say) it will access 10.12 cell.
I want to shuffle the map accross to the left so it will still access the same 9.55ish cell at the same load it used to so effectivly I have a stock map with higher available loads to play, then I can tweek from there. Understand? It makes perfect sense in my head but I find it hard to explain.
PL

Post by PL »

You're doing just fine. I usually don't bother changing the values in the cells too much when re-scaling. The main thing to watch for is that you don't finish up accessing values in the IGN map that are too advanced (as it will be accessing values further to the left = higher timing values. Just tidy up the IGN map and lower the values to something that is less likely to cause detonation. Don't be afraid to get in and have a go.

Then the first time you boost it up listen carefully for detonation. If none then tidy up your fuel map to get AFR's where you want them. Then get stuck into the IGN map.

Enjoy
Pete L
PL

Post by PL »

Oh, I forgot to mention - when editing maps you can select an area by dragging across it and then hitting +/- to increment/decrement the values. Similarly you can select a whole column or row by clicking in the Load/RPM cell.

PL
immy21

Post by immy21 »

Thanks for the advice, I will get stuck in now :D