R32 GTR Twin turbo to Single turbo

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

drew6

R32 GTR Twin turbo to Single turbo

Post by drew6 »

Hey guys,

I'm at a bit of a cross roads with my build right now... I have an R32 GTR that I'm rebuilding the engine and installing Nistune. I bought a pair of R34 N1 turbos for it but am running into some issues with the rebuild cost. I'm now toying with the idea of going Single turbo as the cost is almost the same (I can do all my own fab work). However, theres a few things I'm unsure of:

1) Will I still have to run dual MAFs? Or is there a way I can run one single large MAF without switching ECUs?
2) I assume in my downpipe I will now need three O2 sensors.. Two oems for the ECU and one wideband for tuning. Correct? (I guess my questions is are there anyways to cut down on the number of O2 sensors)
3) Any thing else anyone can think of that may not be Nistune friendly?

Thanks guys.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: R32 GTR Twin turbo to Single turbo

Post by Matt »

You should be able to use a single AFM and put both signals from this

see here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1582

If you use the single wideband sensor you could use the narrowband output to both ECU O2 inputs as well so you are welding in just the one bung
drew6

Post by drew6 »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info... I'm not really clear on the O2 sensor issue though. It was my understanding Nistune cannot use wideband inputs and thus have to use the OEM sensors. If I'm clear in what you are saying then I should be able to use a wideband sensor that has both wideband and narrow band outputs? Do you know of any such sensors?

Thanks
PL

Post by PL »

If you were to forget the factory O2 sensors and just use a permanently fitted wideband sensor and controller then it should be fine. Most Wideband units have a "simulated narrowband" output. As well as the data connection to display wideband info.

So in your case you'd just wire the sumulated narrowband output into both of the ECU's O2 sensor inputs. That'd keep the ECU happy.

Then just hook the wideband data into the COM port of your laptop (either Serial or USB - most are USB now) and pick this data up in NIStune. All good!

PL
drew6

Post by drew6 »

Well, I certainly didn't know that PL.I will have to do some more research.

Thanks for your help.
guricha

Post by guricha »

this is my single turbo BNR, with one Z32 Maf, that i just test with Nistune, going to HPXmaf or ford lighting
drew6

Post by drew6 »

guricha,

That picture looks great. What set up for 02 sensors are you using?

Matt,

Please see this wideband... http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

In the key features it lists: "(2) 0-5v fully programmable linear analog outputs for use with engine management systems “closed-loop” and external dataloggers" Is this what I'm looking for in regards to replacing the factory 02 units with?

Thanks,

Andrew
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Looks like that should work. Older innovate (eg LC-1) have a 0-1 volt output which simulates the Narrowband O2 sensor. Appears this 0-5 volt should be reprogrammable to do the same thing

Innovate MTS supported in Nistune means all units will work with our software
PL

Post by PL »

I'm recommending to all my customers that they fit a "permanent install" wideband these days. With the Innovate MTX selling for under $200 you'd be crazy not to. Best insurance you can buy...

PL
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

PL wrote:I'm recommending to all my customers that they fit a "permanent install" wideband these days. With the Innovate MTX selling for under $200 you'd be crazy not to. Best insurance you can buy...

PL
We just bought three of these http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IN-3844 and they work great with NIStune just remember that if You have turbo timer to connect it on some power which will work all time until engine is switched off to preserve WB O2 sensor.