Multiple map ECU's

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Fusion Ed

Multiple map ECU's

Post by Fusion Ed »

I have a field ECU here which i have just read the roms from. Its an odd/even rom with a total of 4 maps stored in it, and an external switch.

I just wondered if there was a nice way to edit these in NIStune. Perhaps a ROM offset function? If not could it be added?

Ed
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It is possible to open ODD/EVEN ROM files from the File menu

However when you have two chips with 4 x ODD on one and 4 x EVEN on the other becomes a bit tricky

You would have to make a custom address file ... see the FAQ document for how to do this... start with the 'generic consult' address file and then copy the S13 parts in

But you would need to manually specify

OFFSET=&H....
ORIGIN=&H....
LENGTH=&H....
CPU=1 (16 bit)

The origin is where the code/maps start in the ROM image. The offset is where to load this into an emulator. The length for an S13 for example would be 32K or &H8000

I did provide the capabiliity for NIStune to load massive ODD/EVEN ROM files (after playing around with a later model Zexel Diesel ECU) so this should work
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Yes seen the odd/even and have already loaded the file. But it would be nice if within the program, not the add file if you could enter an offset there.
Its not really that convenient to keep editing address files.

I mean for this case 4xodd 4xeven, the offset is entirely predictable, and indeed you could just have a menu with them predefined, or user set.

Consider this as an extra option? :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'll add this as an enhancement. Also handy for dual EPROM solutions with the 8 bit ECUs. But it is lower priority than some others on the list at this stage
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Fantastic, just the answer I was looking for!! :) Will make life so much easier.

Another question. I have fitted a nistune board in a RNN14 ecu. Moved the jumper etc, however, the fans stay on and the conlsult plug doesnt work. I moved the jumper back and it still does the same.

Any ideas? Try another ECU?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Have you tried both boards on this ECU?

Check if the ECU is in limp mode...

1. LED indicator on ECU stays on (also look at check engine light)
2. Car will run too rich and will not run above 2000rpm (limp mode)
3. Consult will not connect

If the ECU with the external board jumper set to normal and no board plugged in does not work, then try another ECU

The ECU should connect to nistune without a board in Normal Consult mode, and with the Type 3 board installed and ECU jumper moved, connected in Extended Consult mode
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

I have another ECU to try today and I shall report back.

Ed
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The other thing to note is that if the ECU had a PLMS daugthterboard... Pete used to leave off a few pins from the 2x20 connectors so that people wouldn't be plugged in wrong

NIStune boards need to have all 40 pins on the connector, since it uses some of the extra pins that the PLMS board didnt need

If your ECU doesn't have all 40 pins, you will need to solder suck the spare ones and insert pins where missing
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

I tried the other nistune board in another ECU today, and it worked faultlessly. I am impressed.
I shall try the previous nistune board in this ecu and give that ago. Hopefully it was just the ECU.