R32 RB26 running witout MAF or only one MAF

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

hexdmy

R32 RB26 running witout MAF or only one MAF

Post by hexdmy »

I had a strange request today, someone with a built R32 wants me to get his car running well enough to get it on and off his trailer for car shows, and thought that the Nistune setup might work for what he's trying to do. Apparently he has some new , not yet released, engine management system on order from Japan, but won't be ready until early next year. The car has a very large single turbo, with the inlet only being about eight inches or so from the radiator, so he says it's not really feasible to re-fit one or both of the Maf sensors. So I was wondering if anyone knows what the Nissan ecu reverts to when the Maf(s) are disconnected or unplugged. In other words, does the ecu calculate the TP value well enough to get the car to idle and take a small amount of throttle with some calibration tweaking. Second option would be to install a MAF signal simulator, such as MAP-ECU or AEM FIC, but I would only be able to simulate one MAF, and I'm not sure the car will run any better with just one Maf. I remember reading something about doing a single MAF conversion on the RB26, but don't quite remember what parts were involved. Any insight or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

- Chris
BlueRB240

Re: R32 RB26 running witout MAF or only one MAF

Post by BlueRB240 »

You could just drive it on to the trailer since the maf isn't hooked up. The limp limiter is 3k I think, or put a blow through maf into the charge pipe.
hexdmy

Post by hexdmy »

I did mention that to him, apparently he says it barley runs, possible because it has cams and is a built motor, he did re-install the stock injectors however. Also, he specifically did not want to install a blow trough because of the aesthetics . Good thoughts though. I'm wondering if the ecu actually simulates the MAF signal when the MAF is disconnected, ie, does it still have a TP value and use the fuel look-up tables .
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

If he runs the blow through with a ford lightning maf or Cobra maf nobody will see it unless he shows the car with the front bumper off?
hexdmy

Post by hexdmy »

That's slick, do you mind telling me where you got the adapter for the MAF, or did you have to make it .
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.ph ... nt=31&pg=1 They have them in mild steel or aluminum.
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Chris,

I would have thought that if you fitted one MAF (whatever type) and wired the output into both the ECU inputs then you should be able to adjust things to get it basically driveable pretty quickly.

PL
hexdmy

Post by hexdmy »

Thanks for the input, I'm hoping that wiring the two maf inputs together will work. I think using the MAF, as suggested, would be the way to go, but if he does not go for it, then I will try the simulated MAF output from a AEM FIC.

- Chris
guricha

Post by guricha »

am just on my way to rebuild engine :) when you use once nistune you want to change to other system, i had PFC and VIPEC, of course to not to have MAF is perfect but still nistune is best option for me, I am also looking information to put one MAF, installing it in cooler pipe is best way i have done it on GTST, turbo looks much better without mafs and its comfortable, so if you guys find some solution will be great!

P.S
i was thinking to buy one Z32 MAF and both wires from ECU connect like bridge one in one MAF i think it should work also

also wanted To know if move MAF s to intercooler does it needs any calibration in nistune ? it should be OK without this right ?
PL

Post by PL »

I've not tried it but one Z32 MAF wired to both MAF inputs on the ECU should work.

MAF position shouldn't matter.

PL
guricha

Post by guricha »

PL wrote:I've not tried it but one Z32 MAF wired to both MAF inputs on the ECU should work.

MAF position shouldn't matter.

PL
Yeah , i think so also
thanks mate...
Zuikkis

Post by Zuikkis »

Yeah it will work. You can do the same for lambdas as well, so you only need one..

One Z32 maf is a bit sucking though because it measures only 500hp or so..

I have tuned severan single turbo RB's with the Ford Lightning MAF. It works very well even if mounted almost directly to the turbo intake.
guricha

Post by guricha »

so one Ford MAF should be ok for 500HP at wheels as i understand :)
nissangts

Post by nissangts »

guricha wrote:so one Ford MAF should be ok for 500HP at wheels as i understand :)
Well the lightening certainly eclipses 500whp easily :D .
guricha

Post by guricha »

I have ordered FORD MAF, but before it comes want to check if z32 will work, so what is easy way, just link signal wires at engine bay ? or do some soldering in ECU? anybody have done this before ? what you think ?