tuning er34 problems

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

gilbertskyline

tuning er34 problems

Post by gilbertskyline »

Ok, finally installed everything on the car, it's a 2000 skyline er34 rb25det neo engine.

installed a pt billet turbo topmount, bigger maf z32.

my problem is it won't start, adjusted the maf still wont start went in fuel map and everything is at 12750 rpm or 255 . it's just overflooding the cylinders with fuel.

so i went back and installed the stock maf still nothing. also went back and rechecked my address file.

any help
gilbertskyline

Re: tuning er34 problems

Post by gilbertskyline »

my injector multi is: 65535
injection latency :2550
volt lat change : 255

is this good?
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

another problem that has me pulling my hair already is the software keep xcrashing after a make changes, i'm using windows xp 32bit mini laptop hp.

mfc something
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

ok after a few hours, going thru the software got it to work. so right now i have the engine running with the stock maf, will change it to the z32 maf after I find the boost leak and install all the vacuums etc etc..

at first the nistune was giving me a hard time (still is) but i like the concept of using the stock ecu to tune my car.

hopefully it gets better.
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

Gilbert

9 times of 10 its usually the car thats giving the problem... Matt is pretty quick to make updates so if in doubt then do let him know of your issue :)

Also, Im assuming your using a wideband to measure/check the fuel mixture and a dyno to tune ignition/fuel also ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

is this good?
That is bad ... very bad! It looks like you might have synced a blank start up over the top of your ECU at some stage which would have stopped everything from working

Good that you fixed it now though. Guess you loaded the stock maps back in? Readjust for the injectors / MAF is fairly straight forward. Do the resize injectors from factory to 555CC and then do your Z32 AFM resize inside the software

On mine we did 480CC injectors firstly, and then about a week later the Z32 resize and worked straight away.

As for the crashing - if you can tell me what you did to cause the crash I can look into it. Not very often I see a crash bug now with the software (given its stable most of the time) but if its repeatable I can investigate further (repeat steps and then debug)
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

Matt wrote:

is this good?
That is bad ... very bad! It looks like you might have synced a blank start up over the top of your ECU at some stage which would have stopped everything from working

Good that you fixed it now though. Guess you loaded the stock maps back in? Readjust for the injectors / MAF is fairly straight forward. Do the resize injectors from factory to 555CC and then do your Z32 AFM resize inside the software

On mine we did 480CC injectors firstly, and then about a week later the Z32 resize and worked straight away.

As for the crashing - if you can tell me what you did to cause the crash I can look into it. Not very often I see a crash bug now with the software (given its stable most of the time) but if its repeatable I can investigate further (repeat steps and then debug)

Hey Matt, that is exactly what i did. but fixed that thank god had me worried for a minute there.

when i use the stock maf the car idles like stock which is great, change it out to the z32 maf idles fairly well( i changed to z32 500hp maf in operations/change maf/ vg30dett500hp) which adjusted my k constant, but i think i need to do it manually I noticed that the throttle response really suffered when i changed it. that is all i did for now

will be fixing the other problems and after that go back to the nistune, i just wanted to play with the nistune so I'm sure it's working.

will keep you guys informed.

will let you know when it crashes again what is causing it.

peace
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

steve_s13 wrote:Gilbert

9 times of 10 its usually the car thats giving the problem... Matt is pretty quick to make updates so if in doubt then do let him know of your issue :)

Also, Im assuming your using a wideband to measure/check the fuel mixture and a dyno to tune ignition/fuel also ?

Hey Steve, yes I'm using a wide band but i still need to figure out how to hook it up to the nistune so I can log it (is this possible) I have it now just installed in the car with a aem gauge.
PL

Post by PL »

Are you using stock injectors or larger ones? You'll find tuning easier with 480's or 550's. Just changing AFM tends to make for a difficult tune cos it throws the K Constant out so much. Matt's car tuned up very easily with 480's & Z32.

Anyhoo, now that it's basically running you'll probably wanna adjust the K Constant to get it closer to ideal. Here's a quick howto that I use with every new tune:

1) Start the engine and allow it to warm up a bit
2) Start NIStune & connect via Consult
3) Sync ECU > NIStune
4) Select K Constant adjustment & check the "auto" box
5) Click in the actual number for K constant and then hit your +/- keys to quickly move the K Constant up and down.

You should be able to tell if you're heading in the right direction very easily - just by how the engine is running.

When you're getting somewhere good don't forget to hit "Burn" to save the tune to the ECU.

PL
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

hey PL,

thanks alot, will try it. I have a question when u hit burn does the changes take effect right away??

I was trying to adjust the fuel map, because idle was very lean @ 17 now i would adjust and burn right away with every changes i make at first i would notice the changes and it went from 17 to 15 ok, burn again and adjusted a few more thing on the fuelmap and burn, after that was late i unplugged the usb (car is still running) bam righ away the car went back to the old 17 afr at idle.

so i plugged the usb back in consult/ and looked at my settings and everything was as i left it, but the car would run different then when i left it. very strange.

so after that i loaded a previous bin file , and burn. but the car still runs bad I took the car out for a spin and nothing the car is still running as if it's still using the stock map.

any advice?

oh and PL : yes stock injectors/ z32 maf
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

does anyone have a bin file for a single turbo setup?? so i can compare mine to it.
PL

Post by PL »

When you start the car and connect via NIStune, make sure you sync from ECU > NIStune so that you're looking at the same image as the ECU is using. Provided you stay connected then all changes you make are live.

But unless you do a burn before you disconnect or turn the engine off your changes will be lost. To be on the safe side do a sync just before you burn. Then you know for sure that you're burning what you're looking at.

I don't have an image for the NEO engine with only AFM upgraded as this is usually something I try to avoid. It's always best to upgrade AFM and injectors at the same time.

PL
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

PL thanks for the fast response,

this guy in another thread described my problem.

I seem to be having some trouble holding maps in the board.
adjustment of fuel maps is possible, but it seems that once i disconnect laptop it reverts to some previous maps, and a/f ratios are at some point 1-2 full point higher, ie @ 14 laptop connected and 17 at the same load points with laptop disconnected. Am i missing something.

Its not the factory settings its reverting to either as i am running a z32 AFM, and it idles fine.
PL

Post by PL »

Is this with full load mixtures too? Idle mixtures can be a little confusing because of interference from O2 sensor etc. But full load should be solid.

PL
gilbertskyline

Post by gilbertskyline »

Man I have to say, I love this nistune!!!

big thumbs up for matt and his team, this thing is simple but effective, gave me hard time at first but it's working good right now. I still have a lot to learn I'm a novice but it's so easy when u get the hang of it. the problem yesterday I think was the boost sensor hose popping off (look at picture it's the big hose fitted to the intake pipe behind the blow off valve. and the o2 sensor still being connected.

I'm still learning but I had to give matt props.

ok so today, I took another shot at it, but this time disconnected the o2 sensor, and right away I could feel a difference so i reloaded a stock bin file. and started from scratch.

right now as it sits the idle afr at 80-86 degrees is 12.2 and never get higher than 12.9 just to be safe ( doing street tune)> still have alot to do with the fuel map but getting their. after i feel it's pretty good i will go to the dyno to adjust the timing map.

I have a question the sensor right the in the picture, I got it blocked off and i left it blocked off but when i connect it the car starts to idle very bad. so i just block it back off. was just wondering what's it's for?

i think it's the stock boost sensor.

also another thing, every time i shut the car off and let it cool of maybe to 78 not much, the idle after start is really lean @ 17 bu after a few seconds goes back to 12.2 do i need to adjust the after start idle? and I left the o2 sensor disconnected is this a problem?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img27.imageshack.us/g/241020101935.jpg/
Last edited by gilbertskyline on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.