4 wire header assignments on Z31 ecu

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Steve88t

4 wire header assignments on Z31 ecu

Post by Steve88t »

Type 1 Rev 3a board on 88-89 z31 ecu:

According to page 18 of the hardware installation pdf version 2.0 the wires should be:

6802 pins - Wire #'s
Pin 37 - #4
Pin 34 - #1
Pin 25 - #3
Pin 24 - #2

The connector is labeled with a "1" which I am assuming is the key to pin 1.

The problem now lies in that page 19 does not give an assignment to which of the 4 pin header on the pcb is correlated to any of these. As I understand it, it is as follows:

PCB #30 - Wire #4
PCB #31 - Wire #3
PCB #32 - Wire #2
PCB #33 - Wire #1

Page 17 has the same color coded wires and connector, but they are flipped. IE the colors are opposite of the picture. I realize this is showing an early ecu, but the 6802 is the same and thus should indicate how it is attached on either version of ecu.

So all that to say, the documentation is not real clear in regards to these 4 connections.

I have hooked it up both ways as I got it wrong the first time. I'm still troubleshooting to see what else I've done wrong so expect to get some more laughs in the near future.

Steve

*edit* The headers were swapped. After about the 4th time through the install pdf I noticed that. All is well and it fired. So now time to learn.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hi Steve

So you have a later model ECU with the 30-33 pin connectors then?

Problem is that I have only done one install so far on a later model Z31 ECU with this connector. On that particular ECU I installed a Type 1 Rev B which used the older style 3 pin header connector

The photo included in the document is of the header silkscreen - prior to the 3 pin header installation. Unfortunately I dont have any photos currently with the 4 pin header installed nor did I have the notes handy to get the direction the correct way

Are you able to email through a macro photo at all of your header installation so i can put this in the document?

* The colour coding of the wires does not correspond to a particular wire. I will update the document to spell this out

* The document shows on the board installation pic which header goes where. We apparently didn't have space on the board to mark USB plug / CPU plug. I will probably mark it with blank marker in future to make this clearer and update the CPU connector section of the document also
Steve88t

Post by Steve88t »

I was planning a short writeup for a few forums with pictures anyway. I'll get it done in the next few days and send it to you. Feel free to use any or all of it.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for that. I've updated the doc tonight based on your comments otherwise. I have assigned the connector wire numbers as listed above

If you get a picture of the header connection in there I could put that instead of the current picture
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for that. I've updated the doc tonight based on your comments. I have assigned the connector wire numbers as listed above

If you get a picture of the header connection in there I could put that instead of the current picture
Steve88t

Post by Steve88t »

I'm emailing 3 quick photos. If you want better ones let me know and I'll take care of it.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

is it possible to get one at the same angle as that in the original picture but with the wires showing? (facing from the side of the connector)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

is it possible to get one at the same angle as that in the original picture but with the wires showing? (facing from the side of the silkscreening)
Steve88t

Post by Steve88t »

Sent.
Steve88t

Post by Steve88t »

For everyone to view:
Attachments
nistune_installed1.jpg
Type 1 rev 3a installed on 88-89 Z31
(149.02 KiB) Downloaded 3298 times
nistune_header.jpg
Header on 88-89 Z31 PCB