Even/Odd emulation doesn´t work

Nistune topics specific to the H8534/H8536 cpu

Moderator: Matt

AndyStuttgart

Even/Odd emulation doesn´t work

Post by AndyStuttgart »

Played around with Nistune in my girlfriends R34 GTT a bit, if I first load the Emulators in 256kb even/off configuration using ROMTool, I can use them in Nistune and upload/download maps, alter in realtime etc.
But when setting rev limiter for example it shows that changes are not really committed.
What´s strange is that when I alter a cell in the fuel map where the ECU is actually reading from engine is hesitating though!
So I´m not sure if it doesn´t work at all or just some parts of the maps...

Anybody tried out yet?

And does also somebody have more address tables, like idle target revs etc.?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

As per the email, if the upload/download does not work from NIStune, then neither will changing any of the values (if you used another tool to perform the upload/download to get the car running)

I had all this working (and haven't changed the code since) when first releasing 0.910 and have returned the borrowed emulator now... so cant test it again easily

However what I can do at this stage is if you can send me a log through of the upload being performed on both emulators. I've got an item in my bug list to look at this
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've ordered one of those moates ostrich 2.0 emulators with the hardware maptracing yesterday

once that arrives i can check everything out again... and also add hardware maptrace as an enhanement (when not using consult or Type 1 ECU)
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

I am REALLY liking the sound of that matt... That will mean i can tune my MA09 and not need the type 1 board saving you time in having to make one?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Ed the easy part is the timing/fuel maps and RPM/TP trace however I dont have the rest of the parameters for that board worked out yet which is what takes the time

So I could do a basic Type 1 for that but without all the other consult parameters now if you wanted. Since you have a programmer board could always upgrade firmware later

But yes the Moates could get you sorted without a board using the hardware trace for all maps/tables so might be easier for both of us. I'll add that once i recieve it

Also locking has been tested and completed for Type 1,2,3 boards now as of yesterday night. So can organise some boards for shipping now

Also have you got emulation working alright with the dual emulator support? I'm sure you've been using it before with ODD/EVEN?
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

Matt, does the ostrich maptrace work with nissan ecu's? Or is it just an emulator you're working with for nistune?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The Moates.net website just says it supports address tracing... but until it arrives on my doorstep next week wont be able to tell you if it will work on all Nissans or not...

If they latch the address when /OE+/CE combined are active then it should work for any ECU.

I was thinking of getting one anyway just to continue dual emulation support but then saw it has address tracing I jumped on getting it and it will be added to NIStune if it looks good on the bench

We all know the Romualtor address tracing never worked. If they ever did get it working I still have the code there to use the trace.... but you cannot emulate and trace simultaneously on that unit (it streams the data in trace mode and then you need to switch back to emulate mode)

Actually I just had a look through their protocols page
http://www.moates.net/zips/firmware/protocols/

as well as the Protocols 0.2 sheet they emailed me. I cant find any information on the tracing. It is likely they could use a second virtual com port to stream the information. If they do that it would be nice.... just have to see what happens. I've emailed them for an updated protocol sheet
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

odd/even emulation works fine, but not with the offset. << that was my problem :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That is good. I should be able to fix the OFFSET problem soon when the Moates arrives. The ODD/EVEN operation in NIStune isnt documented anywhere yet... but

Load Address file for 16 bit ROM image

File-Configuration
Setup emulator 1 and 2
Tick the ODD/EVEN button

Plug one emulator to the even socket in the daughterboard. Connect the serial port to PC. Press the Emulator (EVEN) button to connect to this

Plug other emulator ot the odd socket in the duaghterboard. Connect the serial port to PC. Press the Emulator (ODD) button to connect to this

The ODD/EVEN is assigned based from first emualtor detected (lowest COM port order first). So if only one emulator is connected when you click the emulator button, then this will be assigned EVEN/ODD emulator

After this load your BIN file into NIStune.

Then do Operations - Emulator Upload which will load half of the total BIN file into each emulator

Then see if car starts and runs.

Do not use any other utility (emutility) etc first and then expect NIStune to work afterwards. The car must run from a ROM image uploaded with NIStune to ensure it changes the correct addresses

Also response from Moates is that address tracing it isn't actually fully implemented in the current firmware yet. Once it is then will need a firmware update
AndyStuttgart

Post by AndyStuttgart »

I´m starting to get pissed...
As already stated in the AEM thread, I just got my Moates 2.0 emulators and tried them out with the GRID board in even/odd just like you described - didn´t start.
So before messing around with NIStune again, instead I just loaded the even and odd file into the emulators using the emutility - didn´t work as well.
Then I tried it with one burnt emprom for odd and one emulator for even - worked!
Replaced one Moates 2.0 with the 1.0 version - worked also.

So I first got one Moates 1.0 used, and it worked.
Got myself another one new, was forgetting it´s memory after every shutdown and now doesn´t work at all any more...(first verifying just uploaded binaries showd differencies, then I could even connect no more...).
Replaced both of them with two new Moates 2.0 - just to find out that one of them is working fine on the PC side (upload/verify etc. all fine) - but o the socket side there seems to be some issues since it doesn´t work...

so now I got 4 emulators with two of them working...50% hit...what a mess :roll:

Also bad news from the NIStune side, I started NIStune with the preloaded emulators, and downloaded the maps - worked fine.
Uploading/altering etc. also works.
But them I wondered why I still can´t change the rev limiter for example...and I compared the emulators against the initially (and then altered) NIStune even/odd files - to find out they were still like I first uploaded them!
So no change via NIStune - how can this happen?
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

What chips does the Grid board use and from what memory location does it need to read from? You should do a memory dump from the working emulators to see what's on them.
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

What chips does the Grid board use and from what memory location does it need to read from? You should do a memory dump from the working emulators to see what's on them.

Oh and I should add do the same for the ones that dont work to compare them with.
AndyStuttgart

Post by AndyStuttgart »

Fusion Ed wrote:What chips does the Grid board use and from what memory location does it need to read from? You should do a memory dump from the working emulators to see what's on them.

Oh and I should add do the same for the ones that dont work to compare them with.
What for should I do an memory dump?
GRID board expects to get even/odd 27C256 ERPOM or skip 27C512...I use the 27C256 sockets.

Memory dumps/verification of emulator memory is obsolete since only what I upload via emutility is on them, uploading via NIStune doesn´t change a single bit!

And for the two emulators that don´t work - the new bought Moates 1.0 doesn´t even connect to the PC any more, so I can´t do anything with it...and the bad Moates 2.0 out of my last order works perfect on PC side, like upload, download, verify etc. - but looks like the interface to the EPROM socket is faulty because with it car doesn´t start...if I have the same image on my working Moates 1.0 and just switch emulators (I leave the socket cable in place) it works...strange thing...

Nevertheless, my main problem is that NIStune even/off modification doesn´t work for me and I don´t know the reason...so what´s wrong?
emutility is doing a backfill, maybe NIStune fills emulator memory from 0000 on, so it doesn´t even interfere with the second half of the memory?
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

thats what im thinking, nistune may be working in the wrong area of the emulator. (happened in my case) My grid board wanted the rom starting at 4000h and nistune with the ostrich emu was writing to 0000h, Im on matts case for an update on this ;)
AndyStuttgart

Post by AndyStuttgart »

I wonder why there´s no problem with the normal emulation then, where you just use one emulator (R32 GTR, GTST...)