ECU's

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

zmyzgo

ECU's

Post by zmyzgo »

Matt:
...my car is a 93' 300zx twin turbo. Need new ECU, bad #6. Was talking to my NIStune shop and he thought I could use an NA ECU because of the type 2 board and NIStune software.
Is this true? Can I use an NA ecu in my twin turbo?

thanks
Eric

Re: ECU's

Post by Eric »

only in case of emergency.

best is to use a twinturbo ECU...the NA Z32 ECU is simpler and has less 'hardware features'

Also, most of the NA Z32 ECU's are 16-bit , so these won't work with a type-2 Nistune board (presuming that's what you have)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

If he has a 1993 model USDM ECU it may be 16 bit anyway

What are the hardware differences between NA and turbo? They look identical to me when I have looked at them previously however noting I have not done a side by side comparison
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

OK, so....as to the differences, the NIStune dealer I use, believes that there are none that affect the function of usng NIStune, because all maps are placed via NIStune and use of daughterboard. That is what led me to the post initially, makes sense that I could use an NA ecu, but part of me likes to keep parts correct (even if NA will work). But, I need to know, if better with TT ecu, the $ aren't worth saving to go with an NA (less costly, more available).

I am presently using a type 2 board in a '93 ecu, which supposedly swithced mid-year, the ecu I have is listed as a "late" ecu. I know that the later Z32's went 16 bit, was told by my NIStune dealer that I had an early version, reason I use Type 2 board, if was late, he thought I would need a Type 3...? I don't know, I do know that I can use 1991-93....my present ECU is listed as a "late" version on ID chart, but I know it is 8-bit and uses a Type 2 board.

So, Matt, without a side-by-side comparison, is it risky to use an NA, Eric, feel free to provide opinion...wanting to get an ecu (or 2 as back-ups) fast, gots some mods to install.....

thanks for any help here...will be watching, otherwise I will play it safe and stay TT.

Hal
Peace

Post by Peace »

Well
4 ECR33 already done on Z32ECU and 2 ECU awaits for cars and tune. We use mostly NA's ECUs beacause they are cheaper. As Matt said i can't see difference inside ECU and everything works great on 89-92 Z32 ECUs. Thought we use JDM ECUs
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I have previously recommended customers using earlier 8 bit NA Z32 ECUs for turbo applications should pose no issues given that we put a TT manual ROM image on the board in the case of RB25DET installations. We have not had any noted issues yet regarding the use of these

I know from side by size comparison that the earlier Z31 ECUs that NA / turbo are identical hardware (apart from the knock sensing board installation on turbo models) and would have thought this would also be similar to Z32 but no side by side hardware comparison has been performed (so far but next NA Z32 ECU I get will be compared... pity since I just installed one NA Z32 last week)

So far I know all Z32 ECUs regardless of NA / turbo have the knock sensing board. However there are programmable chips on these boards and other components vary by country (eg EDM, USDM, JDM) so I know not to mix ROM images from different regions due to reported running issues (eg customer using JDM image in EDM ECU experienced various running issues)
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

Thanks for your opinions and help...now I can get movin' on this project...

Hal
Eric

Post by Eric »

It's a bit like the difference between AT and MT ECU's.
visually the main boards look exactly identical, but there are (hardware I/O) differences..

same is for the the NA ecu's, these are missing a couple of outputs compared with the TT ECU;s: eg. boostsolenoid signal output is missing, it has 1 step fan control instead of 2 step fan control in the TT ECU and it's missing 3 step FPCU control

if you are using an electronic boostcontroller, then the missing boostsolenoid signals are not really important.
The fan control usually isn't a real problem either.
The FPCU control can be a problem in some cases.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

This is the thing I was checking was the actual components since the PCBs come from the same design

Comparing S13 CA18DE and S13 CA18DET yesterday showed exact same components

Good to know the exact differences between the two. With regards to R33 ECU upgrades boost and fan control are not issues. FPCU (fuel pump control unit) may show differences around idle and acceleration then? On the older RB30s many times fuel pump control was changed to relay triggering as opposed to variable voltage output