vl turbo z32 afm + gtr injectors AFM Limp MODE Help PLEASE

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Taskiwi

vl turbo z32 afm + gtr injectors AFM Limp MODE Help PLEASE

Post by Taskiwi »

Hi Guys
Ill start this post with Sorry ,ive done something wrong.

Im old top half of the 40s have owned the car for 10 yrs and was building it for my sons 18th Bday present, full Group a kit , nice old car!
factory turbo manual ,big inter cooler to4E tubular exh manifold etc
- engine is forged arias pistons high comp (cock up from rocket industries who supplied me the wrong pistons and as i was in a hurry to build engine because i was changeing states, anyway)- ran ok with factory vl turbo injectors and rb30 AFM although although it killed 7 afms -was runnig 14psi and it went pretty well.

Anyways - i decided it was better to go nistune and so away went the ECU and i installed GTR injectors - i have built a few motors etc so no novice.

when the ECU was away , shit happened and TAS had some serious flooding ,car was in garage , carpets got wet etc , no real damage .

ECU returned and plugged in car started but no rev and rich as , thought i cocked up AFM wireing so swapped around and caused some heating of brown wire which is a earth- had to resolder pin nito board ,melted plug a bit but OK . thought id fried a diode so sent back with a note to Matt , he tested and said it was fine , even rang me to discuss.

i put it back into car on weekend and installed platinum plugs and new leads car started first pop good idle , still mega rich

ive brought the licence and plugged in ECU ,worked out the changes for injectors and MAF to z32 config but it still runs like a pig after 2000 rpm

consult drops out as soon as engine starts , but log shows AFM signal and engine speed fault
aircon and something else - i could take a screen shot if needed
i could read more on setup but im not wanting to be a tuner just want it to run to get it to tuner on a trailer.

i suspect the maf change is not writing to the board eprom and when car is started it drops from consult and reverts to base map

its like the AFM is not registered - makes no diffrence when i unplug it

AFM wireing is
Wire2 B AFM output ( white shielded - 2-7 volts)
Wire3 C Chassis ground (dark brown)
Wire4 D Sensor ground (black)
Wire5 E 12 volts from ECCS relay (orange/black - ignition)

any help would be appreciated - yes i need to take it to tuner , but i need to get it running so i can back it up the hill from my garge and onto a trailer to get on the dyno

it could be an earth fault from wet under carpets ? although none of the ECU wiring got wet.
cheers in advance
Matt
Site Admin

Re: vl turbo z32 afm + gtr injectors AFM Limp MODE Help PLEASE

Post by Matt »

You dont mention which wires are connected from the VL colours to the Z32 MAF pins:
http://nistune.com/docs/MAF_and_Consult_pinouts.pdf

For VL should be:
Wire B - Signal (shielded white) => grey/yellow
Wire C -
Wire D - Signal Ground (shielded black) => black
Wire E - 12v Power (white) => orange/black
Check the MAF voltage in the software. Also check using multimeter signal vs Signal ground on the MAF. It should be about 0.4V not running, 1V running

Also MAF voltage drop needs adjustment in the ECU hardware:
http://nistune.com/docs/NIStune_Type_1_ ... lation.pdf
Page 28
Remove pin 14 from opamp board

It should show 0.4V in Nistune when this is done correctly. It will not stay connected if MAF voltage is not seen by ECU (due to MAF fault code)
Taskiwi

Post by Taskiwi »

thanks Matt really appreciate the reply

I spent a few hrs last nite and found the AFM signal wire had a dry solder from a AFM plug replacement i did yrs ago .
the "grey yellow" stripped wire that turns "white" when stripped of cover and shielding.
It runs fine and dandy now , although stalls easily , but more than good enough to get on a trailer and then tuned

Love the product , best bang for the buck available
'
Tbstr3

Post by Tbstr3 »

Probably stalling due to the MAF being to close to the turbo, MAF is Sensing air when it shouldn't.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Check out "MAF tuning guide" in our Support > Documents > Technical notes area on the website