Map upload errors

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

300zxturboftw

Map upload errors

Post by 300zxturboftw »

Hello,

I've been using Nistune on my build over the past few years; haven't fully tuned the car yet. I've kept Nistune updated and only recently am I experiencing this issue that I believe is messing with my ability to tune properly. I've updated Nistune software and tried uploading a map to my ECU by resyncing then burning as usual. Initially when I consult it says address mismatch, saying it needs to sync with 86 address as attached file will show. Once I sync it with the Map that was burned to the ECU it then gives me the other error saying ECU read rom address access fail for map tp_scale_fire (it has said different maps before as well). I am able to resync with green upload button but then it gives me error that nistune mismatch and needs to resync error when trying to burn. I am able to burn onto the ECU only when I load a different address file (z31 87) and then upload and burn. This is definitely screwing up my tune as I can't get idle correct or anything else. It's all whacky now vs. when I wasn't getting these errors I was able to tune.

Again, this all happened when I burned an image to ECU, updated nistune to latest version and tried to resync. Is my board bad at this point? Do I need to get it reflashed? If so how do I go about that or what other success to eliminate this error have you guys figured out. Have hours into trying a way around and i'm stumped...
Attachments
Nistune Error.png
(137.29 KiB) Downloaded 2869 times
Address mismatch Nistune.png
(111.77 KiB) Downloaded 2869 times
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Map upload errors

Post by Matt »

Is your board PIN locked?

The second screenshot shows (L) next to the ECU part number which means the board is write locked

The address file selection (1986) is correct for 21P61

If you connect to the ECU, when does it shows (L) against the part number? Can you remove the PIN with default code 0000 (Operation > Write PIN to board)

AF20 is the correct address for the Ignition timing TP load scale for this ECU
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

The only situation where I can get the (L) next to the part number is exactly what is shown in the second screen shot, otherwise it says (U). If I select vehicle then choose 1987 z31 address file I'm able to upload and burn a map. I tried using 1987 address then uploading a 87 VG30 map from the ROM pack, which took. Once I disconnect and re-consult the same error comes up where it says address mismatch. If I choose yes, most of the maps crash and I have the same issue where it says nistune unsynchronized. If I choose no, i retain those maps but when trying to upload and burn it still says unsync'd. I have to go back to square one and select a new address and reload.

Also tried writing 0000 PIN to board and same error. It will write if I load the 87 address first but then it won't work once it tries to resync with 86 address. Same issue stating nistune and ecu are unsycnhronized.

If I try downloading/uploading maps it stops at the TP scales maps and in the bottom left says USB Disconnected/Usb consult error/Consult disconnected/Consult Retrying to connect/Check PIN successful.

Below shows when I try load 86 address file, and try to download current ECU maps into the original ECU rom that I took off it when I initially got the ECU.

I'm fairly certain I've had this issue before when I was trying to upload a map from a different computer. I got my other computer that I originally uploaded the map from and the issue was resolved - I was also on the same downloaded version of nistune. Seems like this happens when I update nistune/try to upload maps from other computers...even if it's the same map downloaded and sent to the other computer.

Really stumped on this guy.
Attachments
Original ECU sync.png
(86.33 KiB) Downloaded 2845 times
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

I was able to load a sync'd map finally into the ECU. I did this by trying every ROM file that would download all maps from ECU with no error and re-uploading that map as a base (I realized once there was a ECU ROM read address error it would erase that map from Nistune, so eventually once all the maps it had errors on were gone it would sync). I then copied over my fuel maps and tuned K const/changed MAF. As I started the car up and started tuning for AFR I knew something was still wrong. Low and behold all scalers maps were missing as well as dwell time/duty and maf translation. Once I closed out Nistune and re-opened it those maps returned, but of course had no values in them. I copied over the values from the other maps and same issue, when I try to upload it stops at scalers and says there's a sync error as described above...it just disconnects and stops uploading.

Maps with errors:
Fuel load scale
ign load scale
fuel rpm scale
ign rpm scale
dwell time
dwell duty
maf translation
maf translation grid
temp conversion

Obviously without these the car can't be tuned. I'm able to start the car but I can't get the AFR's even close to where they should be and it becomes all whacky anyhow given the above maps probably are missing values or have old values in there that won't work for my new build.

Could the chip in the ECU need to be manually reset or something? Is there a way to do that via USB consult?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

21P61 is an old ROM image. It was removed from the ROM pack. Appears it was an incorrectly named ROM file. This was discovered when putting together feature pack, so was removed from the ROM pack in future versions (hence the problem when you did the update)

The ECU part numbers is used to identify the address file to be loaded (which comes with the 'Do you wish to load' prompt)

You are correct that 1987 address file is the correct one for this '21P61' file (which is actually a different part number)

Attached is the original file to upload to your ECU (1987)

For now you will need to use the 1987 Address selection, and ignore the prompt every time it asks (annoying I know). Another option is to copy the contents of Z31_VG30_128_E_87.adr to Z31_VG30_128_E_86.adr (overwriting it)

The 1986 file is not the one to use. If you wanted your board updated, we would put 26P0F (1988 VG30ET with feature pack) instead into it
Attachments
Z31_VG30E_1987_21P61_MT-2999.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I'm at the car next. Is it possible to update the chip without having to ship it to you or do you need special tools to load the updated ROM?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

BIP (base image programmer) is required to do any updates. Some workshops (like AVP) have BIPs or it can be posted here
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

Is there any logic to do the update to a ROM with feature pack or should I be fine with current base image? No need to overengineer something if not needed. This will be a 600+ RWHP tune on a VG30 though, so if there is some beneficial supplements to feature pack I could entertain it. Also given the different ECUs are built for low impedence/high impedence and a specific O2 sensor (1987 Non-Turbo uses low impedence and zirconnia type sensor while 1988 non-turbo/turbo uses high impedence/titania type o2 sensors) will this be effected by loading an updated image with feature pack or are these type of drivers for injectors/O2 built into the ECU elsewhere?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

FP adds the Total Injection Multiplier will let you adjust injectors easily and stick within the factory load scales during tuning but apart from that there is nothing really extra

The ECU program does not know the difference with the O2 sensors (this is in the ECU hardware from what I can tell)