2 Questions: Ignition at 10, and knock count working?

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Shaker

2 Questions: Ignition at 10, and knock count working?

Post by Shaker »

Hello.

I'm quite new to the whole NIStune thing, but I installed the Type1 board into my ECU by myself and got the software working fine on my Car-PC.
I downloaded a ROM that's close to my specs and modified it for my setup and even did some mapping and tuning on it. The car runs better than with the Stage II chip so far. Further tuning will be done when I upgrade injectors.
Engine is a CA18DET

My questions are:
1) The idle ignition is at 10 deg. Why? How can I get back to 15 deg.?

2) Is the knock count actually working? How does it show knock? Does it show the current(!) detonations per rev. or something or does it really count(!) the total detonations, so that the number will only increase and I can see after a run, that there have been several detonations?

That's it for now :)
Matt
Site Admin

Re: 2 Questions: Ignition at 10, and knock count working?

Post by Matt »

Idle timing depends on the current engine speed, and gear of the vehicle

Could you post a log from the vehicle of it idling? If the neutral switch is not activated then it will use idle/decel gear timing table which is about 10 deg depending on engine speed

If the ECU is holding idle closed loop (aiming at idle target RPM table) then timing may be lowered if RPMs are too high (lower idle air control adjustment on engine in this case)

Knock count should be working fine for S13 CA18DET. The ECU has a knock sensor board. Any knock is filtered (narrow band) by this board and the pulses are passed to the ECU. The ECU sees those pulses (and count them inside Nistune) and uses those to work out if to pull out timing

Nistune firmware in the ECU and passes onto the software for display. The software will display counts per cell - see the TRACE window and 'knock count' from the list
Attachments
s13_ca18_idle.png
(74.42 KiB) Downloaded 1551 times
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Hi and thanks for the detailed reply! Somehow I wasn't notified about your answer :(

My idle switch is working fine. The "problem" in my case simply was the idle timing setting, which I couldn't find by searching for the value (10), because 16 stands for 0, so 10 was represented by 26. Now with 31 it is idling fine on 15deg. How do you get the filtered values like in your screenshot?
// EDIT: I got it. I made a right-click into the table and was able to select "Filtered values"...

Thanks for the explanation about the knock count. Good to know, that apparently I don't have any knock so far.
Attachments
Leerlauf ZZP.png
(34.87 KiB) Downloaded 1520 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No probs. It just means the ECU isn't counting the pulses so far