CA18DET - Base setup help

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

louiswun

Re: CA18DET - Base setup help

Post by louiswun »

Just because it will spray a little more of fuel, at 4 bar base fuel pressure, it will be similar to 630cc injector at 3 bar
And I'm using Bosch 044 fuel pump, it is design for 5 bar fuel pressure.
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

Ok, been going at it for a couple of weeks now, but I just found a serious problem while data logging. Whenever I floor it Consult log will simply stop recording and skip several seconds in the Log. Car also sputters a bit when this happens, so I don't know if I'm asking too much from the ECU or what. Will try later without hooking up the PC to see if the sputter is related. Any recommendations?

Regarding the overall base setup, thanks to all your comments I now feel more comfortable tweaking the values on both the fuel and ignition maps, trying to keep it safe without overfueling, and preventing the few Knock flags detected. Took the injectors to the Lab for clean up and lubrication, and they checked the flow is even on all 4. Settled for 50psi atmospheric fuel Pressure, which gives a 41-43~ psi on Vacuum, mostly fearing I would blow the injectors up with anything higher. Moved Boost back up to 14psi (18psi is my final target), and the car pushes great whenever it doesn't sputter.

The WOT sputter issue is hard to replicate. It could happen at 4000rpm or could happen way past 6000rpm.

The idle bit is also better but not perfect yet. It would idle perfectly at 14.8 afr, and after a couple of minutes it would go to 13afr and its own. If I rev it and let it settle, it would go back to 14~afr and then go back to 13afr after a while. MAF reads 1.110mV at 1000rpm with 14.8afr, but goes to 1100rpm when going down to 13afr. Not sure what is causing it to move the rpm around. I don't have the air regulator that goes below the throttle body installed. Could this be the problem?
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

Another question, should I make Load and RPM scales the same? Fuel and Ign differ from each other, as they were like this in the stock setup, but I'm not sure what's recommended. Attached current bin and log with skipping problem.

Attachments
Cams01_2015-01-29_1202_05.csv
(243.03 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
S13_CA18DET_44F07_MT_MEC-D009D_CAMS_005_test.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes make them the same to make tuning easier
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

I found this really old thread which describes the exact idle issue that I'm having. It definitely points to being a MAF issue, since this started happening when I installed my Z32 MAF.

http://ecu2.forumwise.com/ecu2-thread1724.html

Even Louiswun commented in it back in 2007. :lol: I guess I have 7 more years of learning ahead of me. :wink:

Thanks for the scale confirmation. Got them both on the same values.

The high rpms sputter is not laptop related as I thought it was. If I hold back just a tiny bit from WOT the car accelerates perfectly, but if I go full throttle it hesitates and sputters as it revs up, so I'm suspecting it might be a boost leak that I haven't detected.

louiswun

Post by louiswun »

Did you remove the AAC valve ?
If no proper O2 sensor signal, there is no short term fuel trim to compensate the intake air temp.
The more heat soak on the engine bay, the richer idle it goes, thats why I told to tune idle mixture when engine bay is hot.
I think 44F07 ecu is a lambda ecu, it needs O2 signal to control short term fuel trim.
You said : 1993 Latinamerica 200SX with CA18DET - 4ports intake manifold - No O2 sensor (some sort of EDM version I think)
EDM Non Anti Pollution (thats what nissan named it) S13 CA18DET should use 39FXX ECU, no O2 snesor, 4 pin AFM plug (the extra pin is for a dial knob on the AFM for idle mixture adjustment).
EDM Anti Pollution S13 CA18DET should use 44FXX ECU, use O2 sensor, 3 pin AFM plug.
Is there any O2 sensor plug on your engine wiring ?
How many wires on your AFM plug / wire ?
I see your O2 sensor signal is 0.00V on your screen capture.
I see all others lambda ecu with unpluged O2 sensor, should seeing 0.32v to 0.34v default O2 sensor signal,
This included JDM CA18DET ecu, S13 S14 S15 SR ecu, all RB ecu.
if seeing 0.00V via consult, thats mean either the O2 sensor signal wire broken and short with the shield cable, or the ecu not working properly.
I'm not sure if this default 02 signal voltage will be the same on your 44FXX ecu.
If I have time, I'll try to plug a 44FXX ecu on my car to check the unpluged O2 signal voltage.
raddy

Post by raddy »

I would say that these ecu does not use closed loop at idle condition...
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

No, I didn't remove the AAC valve, just the air regulator below the throttle body.

I have no idea if the ECU on my car was ever swapped by the previous owner. I bought the car in 2007, and he purchased it locally in 1993. I wouldn't even know where the O2 sensor is supposed to be on the wiring harness. And I'm pretty sure that my Turbo downpipe does not have a bung hole to screw the O2 sensor to it. It would be easier if you complete the ECU swap in order to confirm the 02 need.

Thinking about the comments in the "ecu2" thread regarding the idle issue, I decided to swap the ground cables on the Z32 MAF plug. After limited testing today, the idle seemed more stable, yet driveability also changed. Will play around with latency, AAC and TPS again to see if I can finally put an end on the issue.

After talking to my mechanic, he recommended to decrease the gap on the spark plugs in order to correct the High RPM sputter. Went from 1.1mm to 0.8 on BCPR6ES plugs. Hope I can get rid of this particular problem. Pending the boost leak test.

Thanks again for the comments.
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

I have some doubts regarding the Alpha/N vs TPS table. The workshop training PDF recommends to max out this table for turbo cars, but if I do this the driveability seems affected on low rpm cruise.

Whats is the best way to tweak this table? And not having the car using the last column on the fuel map every time I go above 20% throttle. :?:
raddy

Post by raddy »

this table is not used AFAIK for this ecu, I mean not for hitting last column of the fuel map, at least there is no reason to change it any way. I newer saw situation that map tracing hit last column at throttle blip/wide open or so...never ever at ca18det ecu (honestly said, I didnt noticed this behaviour also at s14, s14a, N15, z31 ecu) . do you have log to show this?

For me this table looks like common throttle enrichment...
CamsX

Post by CamsX »

Hmmm, interesting. If it is just throttle enrichment, what do you think it would do if I set every value of the table to 0?

Check the attached log, by the last 10 seconds (12th minute mark), 2 blips, first one without pink cells at the last column, 2nd blip with pinks cells.
Attachments
Cams01_2015-02-04_0737_31.csv
(630.64 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

this table is not used AFAIK for this ecu, I mean not for hitting last column of the fuel map, at least there is no reason to change it any way
This is correct. I've just removed that table from the address definitions for this ECU since this reminded me to look into that code when I was testing the CA18DET ECU last week

There is no check against TPS position in a table where the fuel maps are referenced in the ECU code
STATUS

Post by STATUS »

the high rpm missfire will be spark uber common on CA's. Easy fix is decent coil packs (not yellow jackets or super spark as both are plain junk) and a set od BCPR7eix gapped to 0.6mm this will allow 20-30psi no problem but without the low speed issues of coppers gapped under 0.7mm

Make sure your erths on the Z32 are the correct way around, if you body earth the sensor ground you get a massive loop and idle etc changes with voltage load... ie turning lights on changes idle...

The pin next to the 12v source (12v is far right) is ecu ground, the pin next to the signal (signal is far left) is the body ground.
STATUS

Post by STATUS »

TBH we just repin S14 ecus in CA18s and use the VCT output to trigger the manifold runner.
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

STATUS wrote:
Make sure your erths on the Z32 are the correct way around, if you body earth the sensor ground you get a massive loop and idle etc changes with voltage load... ie turning lights on changes idle...

The pin next to the 12v source (12v is far right) is ecu ground, the pin next to the signal (signal is far left) is the body ground.
I've been having this very issue with my s30 since I moved the z32 efi system from my 280zx. I can remember connecting both grounds together and going to the chassis. I cleaned, replaced connectors, used dielectric grease all for nothing. My afr's would go a full point richer with the lights on.