VL RB30

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

squiggs

VL RB30

Post by squiggs »

I have a vl commodore speedway production sedan with an n/a rb30 and 5 speed in it. Diff ratios vary from 3.45 to 4.11 depending on which track we go to.

The only mods we can make in this class are : cam, exhaust, intake (pre throttle body), injectors ( must remain of same type ie. Bosch, but can upsize), computer and ignition are open...

I'm planning to use the Nistune software to tune it and am fitting headers and a 2.5-3" exhaust to it but am not sure what else to do to it
djstatic

Re: VL RB30

Post by djstatic »

Are you allowed to use E85? It brings it's own oxygen
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

To tune the vehicle for the speedway you will require more info than a VL ECU can provide.

Telemetry, gps, inertia data, suspension travel, steering motion, exhaust temps, lambda, accurate speed, gear shifts, etc is very hard to integrate in real time to a data log along with the stock ECU data from nistune type 1 board.

On a circuit, throttle response and fuel economy and wringing its neck out past 8000 are paramount so a MAFless tune is the only way to go.
Best go with a P2000, if the budget will stretch then M800.

If you are gonna rev this to 8500-9000 then an oil pump, and some good pistons would be the first thing. The oiling system in the RB30's are really average, so starvation will occur around 7000rpm. relieving the head is the first thing, the oil returns are either blocked and need drilling out, or simply just need enlargment.

Injectors is no problem, a set of 444cc from a GTR will go straight in but a set bosch 1000ccs will do nicely if fuel is C12-16 or Bio race blends are on the cards.

Ignition would be an M&W Coil overs, won't need cdi until the engine has a compressor on it.

If you stick with nistune then dump the stock MAF and use a HPX05, they are quick to setup on NA motors and
will give you the flexibility for placement and airflow measurement than an NA will ever use.

Sorry, What was the question?
squiggs

Post by squiggs »

Unfortunately we are only allowed to run 98 octane with EFI engines, can run methanol or C16 with carb engines.

I picked up another N/A speedway engine that has had a bit of internal work done, has a chipped ecu and runs to 7500-8000. I dont have any info on the ecu so i dont know what the maps are like. I know most of the $30 eBay chips just have the limiter removed and the timing advanced a bit with no fuel changes....

Definately keen to run real time software on it.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Beware some ebay tunes like 'trx100' , 'mirobi' or 'remap' add 4-5 degrees across the map just to make sure you ping the bottom end to destruction under boost. NA's will often withstand them a bit longer.
the ones i've seen have the top end load areas leaned a out though!!

Others like the jap 'Mines' flavours are mildly tweaked, so you want see much of a realistic gain but aleast it will run ok.

It's funny when these suppliers tell you what mods they think their chip will run with.
usually something like a cold air box or exhaust.
non will supply the map so you can see if it is compatible to your application though.