Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, have you had a chance to look?

Cheers
Richard
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Type1 CA18DET running on Knock maps all the time

Post by Matt »

Unfortunately not. Been a busy week/weekend so far. On my list!
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, I've now finished mapping the car but everything had to be done on the knock maps. If we made changes on the normal maps it didn't change the running of the car.
The maximum knock reading that came up on the nistune consult gauges was 10 on gear changes so not even under load. Do you think this issue of it running on the knock maps would course problems long term.

Cheers
Richard
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt,

Have you had any luck?

Anyway I got 294.8Bhp :D so I'm not too fussed about the map issue as much now, the only slight problem I'm having at the moment is on light throttle between 900~2000 rpm is a flutter in the revs when I pull away.

On light throttle the lambda is showing between 16~19 afr when cold/warming up, i have tweeked the cold enrichment & accel enrichment but nothing has made any difference.

Cheers

Richard
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I tried this tonight finally!

Okay knock sensor connected, no fault code and correct tables highlighted (0.10.11). Adjust the fuel and injection time changes, adjust the timing and timing gauge changes. Both maps highlighted work as expected

Disconnect knock sensor and switches to knock fuel/timing maps. Adjusting highlighted cells in the knock maps now adjusts the gauges.

Everything seems to work fine on the bench. Not sure why your knock sensing isnt working. Perhaps the board inside the ECU has a problem which is not reporting fault codes but is reporting knock to the ECU
Attachments
S13_CA18DET_36F05_knock.JPG
capture
(261.34 KiB) Downloaded 5110 times
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt,

Only just checked back, fault with the board do you mean the nistune board or the ECU itself?
if it is the nistune you mean what could I do about it?

also looking at your image I see you have some DTC codes showing, I don't get any at all is that normal?

Cheers
Richard
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, can you advise please as I'm a little concerned about using the car properly if there is a faulty board whether its ecu board or nistune board. would like to get it sorted asap so I can start using my car for what it's built for :twisted:

Cheers
Richard
louiswun

Post by louiswun »

Hi rads_s13,

I see you are runing 36F05 JDM ECU,
Here is a photo taken on 23Sep2011, on that day I have a hard audiable knock while I'm tuning my JDM CA18DET,
DCT code show [34] DTC Knock Sensor, but my ECU still runing in normal maps.
This photo is taken right after a single audiable hard knock pulling.
It switch from knock maps to normal maps when this code shown.

Before that,
My JDM CA18DET S13 also runing on the knock maps mostly all the time,
At first, I didn't know what's wrong with my ECU, due to some reason,
I have to stop working on my car, and remove my ECU from the chassis harness for a month,
When I have time to go back on my car, my ECU is running in normal maps for no reason,
so I go tuning again, when my engine have light knock at low rev at low boost, it still runing on normal maps,
If I back off some timing, I hear no knock on low load, so I try to pull to red line,
My ECU shift to knock maps ( I did hear some knock at max torque area) !
After I have pull a lot of timing out, my ignition map looks ridiculous retard.
So I go back and check my CAS, I have found that I have forgot to tighten all 3 bolts on the CAS,
and my CAS was fully advanced.....it is more than 10 degree advanced (compare to JDM CA18DET idle timing)
After searching some JDM CA18DET idle timing numbers,
I have found that even if I adjust the CAS to BTDC15 at idle (EDM), I'm still worng. (but I have CAS BTDC15 setting since 2006)
The JDM ECU should be BTDC11 and 750rpm idle,
And look how retard my CAS now, it is BTDC11 on idle.
Now I have no more knock, no DCT code, and runing on normal maps all the time.

I might be wrong but my conclution is....
If JDM ECU CA18DET with BTDC15 idle timing, you are 4 degree advanced on the whole map.
When light knock, might audiable, the ECU will not shift to knock map unless the engine have a hard knock.
When hard knock happen if the ECU runing in knock maps, the DTC code might show up.
Attachments
CIMG1247.JPG
(902.63 KiB) Downloaded 5034 times
CIMG1212.JPG
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 5034 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Try the above. You need to get rid of that fault code.

Check resistance of the sensor line with a meter against ground and let us know how many ohms reporting on the multimeter

Not a Nistune board problem. Worst case ECU knock board problem
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt,

One thing I have noticed is that the software seams to be seeing it as a "23710-36F05" when connect on consult, and my ECU is a UK europe 23710-39F05 could this be part of my problem? as the 23710-36f05 is a jap non cat ecu.

this shows up in the image I attached on the first page.

Cheers
Richard
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

I believe that would be a matter related to the firmware that the board was programed with and not the software...

that's why the ecu number is asked when buying.
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

So my supplier got it wrong. would they be able to reflash the firmware do you think?

Cheers
Richard
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

I said firmware, but I believe it's called *.ent file... firmware is something diferent.

yes, the supplier should be able to re-program the board with the correct *.ent file if that's the problem, providing he has the proper board programmer and files
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sounds like it could potentially cause the problem (the knock sensor code in the ECU should be the same for both). Would suggest getting the board reprogrammed to match your ECU
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

i'm talking to my supplier about this. he was going to swap my board to test.but have now asked in if he can reflash the firmware instead to try.

in the consult the timing on the gauge is showing 10 and I have my cas set to 14 degrees, and my timing map is very retarded so it does sound like from what the chap above has said, and the thing of ECU model that this could be the issue. also would it being set as a non cat presuming also no lambda ecu and mine has lambda that this could also be causing issues.

Oh and just a thought is there any way of me flashing the firmware myself??
with interllectual property of the mapping etc.

Cheers
Richard

*Edit*
After a bit of confusion over text mesages I've spoken to my supplier and arranged the board being reprogrammed for the correct ECU, as he supplied me with one as it came to him. and with me being new to nistune I didn't realise it was wrong at the time. now after all the fiddling and the help from here I will hopefully have it sorted soon. I'll post if reprogramming to 39F05 sorts the issues I've been exsperienceing :)