Type1 CA18DET running on Knock maps all the time

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

rads_s13

Type1 CA18DET running on Knock maps all the time

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi I'm new to the forum, I've had my S13 9 years but am very new to nistune. I've got a problem, mine seems to always be on the knock maps even on a base map at idle it sits on the knock fuel map and then when you rev it the knock timing map lights up green. it does the same thing with the knock sensor either connected or disconnected. any suggestions or diagnostics to try would be great thanks.

Richard
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Type1 CA18DET running on Knock maps all the time

Post by Matt »

Hi Richard

Are you getting a knock sensor DTC code (open up Consult Display - single gauge icon)

Disconnecting knock sensor will make these go to knock maps for sure. Check connections to the sensor and also the sensor should be about 500kohm when using a mulimeter to check resistance against ground
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, thanks for that I'll test and report back.
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

I just had another thought, if the sensor is faulty or disconnected does the nistune or the standard parts of the ecu change any settings automatcally like knock the timing way back?

as we mapped the car to the point that is wasn't det'ing and feeling good then left it for 2 hours or so walst chilling and chatting then I went to drive it home and it had started det'ing again above 4000 rpm

Cheers
Richard
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

I've tested the knock sensor that was on the engine and it came out at 568kohm
I also tested a spare I've got and it came out at 557kohm.
Also which of the two knock sensors would be best to put back on the engine?

does anyone know what pin on the ecu the knock sensor goes to so I can test that there isn't a break in the connection anywhere on route?

Cheers
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Email me and I'll send you a diagram. Both knock sensors seem about fine resistance wise but check them at the ECU plug

Yes ECU will pull timing depending on level of knocking whilst tuning. Which is why its important to turn off the knock sensor flag where possible whilst doing the tuning
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, should I use the info at nistune dot com address?

could you give me instructions on how to turn off the knock flag whilst tuning please

Cheers
Richard
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, Ive gone through and tested the knock sensor back to the ECU and it was showing 555kohm. and I'm not getting any DTC codes on the consult now. when I first started the car on the map that was still on it I was getting it running on the normal maps but I was getting knock readings on the gauges on the software. now with the correct map which has no audible det I'm getting it running on the knock maps again but no knock readings at all on the software gauges. I'm confused and I can't understand why it would be running on the knock maps when there isn't any knock from what I can tell anyway. any suggestions?

Regards
Richard
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Open up the knock warning panel and see if this highlights 'knock' at all during normal driving

Next test is to grab a 470K ohm resistor from electronics shop and put this between your knock sensor cable and ground (disconnect the knock sensor) and see if it still occurs

Make sure you are running latest Nistune software 0.10.10 also since I've verified all the knock functionality in 0.10.9 with a large range of ECUs including S13 CA18DET
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Thanks Matt, I'll give those a try next.

Richard
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, I've gone through your suggestions. I installed 0.10.10 and opened the knock panel and took the car for a drive with the knock sensor still connected there weren't any DTC error and the knock panel stayed blank. then I disconnected the knock sensor and turned the car on and the consult came up with a DTC knock sensor error, then I turned the car off again and wired in the 470kohm resistor to earth and turned the car back on and didn't get any DTC error's so started it and it was again running on the knock maps. I also took a screen shot of the laptop this was it running with the resistor in place. any more ideas?

Richard
Attachments
nistune running.JPG
(122.22 KiB) Downloaded 6259 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

When you change values in the fuel and timing maps is it making change or only when you adjust in the knock maps?

I'll try the 36F05 image tonight to see if there is some trickery involved with the flags I'm reading to do the map highlighting
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, I think it was only making a difference if the changes were made in the knock maps.

Once I get in from work I'll check the ECU number, the car is a UK RS13 Manual transmission if that helps at all.

*edit*

Here are all the numbers off the ECU casing

23710 39F05

MEC-D027 3109
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Hi Matt, any luck with this?

Richard
Matt
Site Admin