Type1 CA18DET running on Knock maps all the time

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Type1 CA18DET running on Knock maps all the time

Post by Matt »

okay let us know

if theres anything you dont want to release with your mapping, just load in a factory map (save yours to hard disk) and put in the new board when it arrives
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

rads_s13 wrote:
in the consult the timing on the gauge is showing 10 and I have my cas set to 14 degrees, and my timing map is very retarded so it does sound like from what the chap above has said, and the thing of ECU model that this could be the issue. also would it being set as a non cat presuming also no lambda ecu and mine has lambda that this could also be causing issue
hum... you can alter that, that shows on nistune as being 10 on the gauge... open two bin files... yours and the correspondent to the european version. do a compare and open the tables "idle/decel RPM timing" you'll see the diference on the "horizontal" part of the graph... if you use the values on the european version you'll have the base timing, on the ECU, as 15 ;) you can try that too ... though, the best thing would be to have the board properly programed, IMHO, so in the future you don't have more surprises
rads_s13

Post by rads_s13 »

Thanks for the replies guy's.

Yeah I'm going down the having the board properly programmed route first :) might have to wait a week to be able to sort it but as soon as It's done and tried I'll report back.

Cheers
Richard
zbeffreyCA18

Post by zbeffreyCA18 »

Sorry to dig this up but I am having the same/similar problem as described. I start my car and it instantly goes to the knock maps. No codes and all the wiring is good. I opening up a the map tracer and watched current knock. On start up, I get 1 knock count in the first cell. I can drive up to 40 miles and on regular driving receive no knock. Also, the knock counter in the display gauges shows "0" knock, but if I get into boost a little (decent AFR), I'll get a 1 and 2 knock count a little higher up in the map. (picture attached).

I'm thinking maybe the knock sensor may be picking up vibration from the solid motor and transmission mounts, but I'm 99% certain when I first had it running and fixed my first knock sensor issue, it was NOT running on the knock maps.

Any ideas? I've thought about just tuning the knock maps but that kind of defeats the purpose of them I would assume, as for the same with wiring a resistor to the knock sensor wire and grounding it.
Attachments
CA18DET starts on knock maps and from codys to home driving.jpg
(162.1 KiB) Downloaded 3964 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Knock count is a filtered input (post knock sensor board). Knock sensors can pickup engine noise and this may register as a count

As for the vehicle suddenly going knock maps, does it do it when just ignition on (or when engine started?)

These days we remove knock maps from this vehicle with feature pack updates, so just one set of maps. ECU will still retard timing on knock count, but nothing beats properly tuning the vehicle to avoid needing this backup feature
zbeffreyCA18

Post by zbeffreyCA18 »

I guess I didn't check when I turn the key on if its on knock maps. I just figured it wouldn't be since the engine isn't started. I will check that tonight though.

Would my K Constant or load scale have anything to do with it switching to knock maps on start up? I still need to go through the TP scale and get that correct but want to make sure that I get this knock issue sorted out first.

Thank Matt.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No moving those should not affect anything

We do notice with this ECU (from factory) that it will switch to knock maps on second crank if the vehicle has not completely powered off (eg if the vehicle stalls, and then start again)
zbeffreyCA18

Post by zbeffreyCA18 »

I went and disconnected the battery yesterday and changed my Max Load TP scale as well. Car still runs fine, starts fine, idles fine, but it always gets 1 knock count during startup. In the gauge displays, the knock count gauge always reads "0". I'm kind of out of ideas. I have a video from this year's first startup with it running on the main fuel/ign maps, so I doubt its the board itself. Knock warning panel shows nothing.

One thing I didn't notice though is when I go under "Active Tests", it shows ignition timing - 15*BTDC, but this is a JDM ECU/Engine and is supposed to be 10*BTDC. I've checked everything in NIStune and it matches the part number on my ECU so I'm debating if I should set it to 15*BTDC or not. I ran that all last year and it ran fine. I don't think that this would be my cause of knock on startup though would it?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Post tune file here and I'll check it

Active test is not applicable for Type 1 boards
zbeffreyCA18

Post by zbeffreyCA18 »

Thanks Matt.

This is the file I've been running. I haven't gotten to deep into tuning and all that since I was breaking in my clutch.
Attachments
CA18DET Running map changed latency 5-29-15 UPDATED.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yeah the maps (apart from rescaling injectors/MAF) are stock. Nothing wrong with the tune file itself.
zbeffreyCA18

Post by zbeffreyCA18 »

Thanks for checking Matt.

I guess my next question is would it be okay to copy the main maps over to the knocks maps and,tune on the knock maps if I can't track down the cause?
zbeffreyCA18

Post by zbeffreyCA18 »

Also, just had a thought. If the "shielding" on the knock sensor wire didn't cover the wire, could the ECU pick up noise from that wire that isn't actually knock?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Potentially it could but would have to be a fair bit of wire (if in the engine bay). Say more than several inches worth.

Yes you can just copy the knock/main maps

What the ECU does is just do main-knock maps and retard timing by the difference when it is knocking