need help getting in the ball park for my z31 turbo

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

blazzinz88

need help getting in the ball park for my z31 turbo

Post by blazzinz88 »

i have been screwing around with my cars fuel map and timing map for days tring to get it to run right. the car is very smooth and runs great off boost just cruising down the highway driving around town but it can't go wide open or reach above 5-7psi of boost with out sputtering and backfiring. With the new turbo I have I start making boost around 3300rpm and should be at full 11.5 psi around 4400-4600 but every time the car gets around 4000 rpm at wide open throttle it just sputters bucks and backfires. if I go half throttle it will mostly go through ok but only reaches about 3-5 psi of boost that way. I would appreciate it if one of you guys that are more knowledgeable with nistune could help me to get a base map that doesn't sputter and allows me to hit my 11.5 boost setting that my wastegate is stock for. I can take it from their to get the car where it needs to go but I can't stand this sputtering.

Here are the specs on my car.
* Using a 88 turbo ecu with nistune that started with a 88t base rom image.
* Using benz injectors. I know they are said to be 420cc but when I had the cleaned at witchhunter they told me they flowwed at 480cc so I set nistune at 480cc could this possibly be my problem?
* Have morgan style cam gears set at -6.
* Isky mega cam regrinds 280 intake 270 exhaust
* I think the car should be able to rev to 7000 rpm because it was balanced, I have been reving to 6800 to play it safe and so far it seems ok.
* Z32 AFM
* external wastegate with 11.5psi spring manual boost controller not being used yet
* running 93 octane pump gas
* timing set to 15 degrees
* idles around 800-1000
* has brc 8.5:1 pistons with eagle rods
* ferrerra valves stock size
* schnieder springs
* new OEM lifters
* OWO heads
* Fidenza flywheel with dxd stage 4 clutch
* 3" turbo back exhaust no cat
* walbro fuel pump

Here are the specs of the turbo I am using:
-Compressor Housing is a Turbonetics spec'd wannabee 60-1(HI-FI) .70 a/r Casting has the 2.75" inlet and 2" outlet with no Garrett or Turbonetics ID markings(generic).
-Compressor Wheel has measurements of:
(Matches nothing I can find from garrett or turbonetics)
Exducer/major- 2.90" or 73.6mm
Inducer/minor- 2.25" or 57.2mm

-Turbine Housing is an official Garrett T3 .63 a/r 4 bolt casting with the ID markings.
-Turbine Wheel has measurements of:
(Matches nothing I can find from garrett or turbonetics)
Exducer/major- 2.490" or 63.2mm
Inducer/minor- 2.210" or 56.1mm

Center Section...is a non-ball bearing unit with carbon seals.

I appreciate any help I can get to get this car to where it should be, because as of now it is far weaker than it was with the 180k engine with stock t3 and fuel system using a boost controller.

i can't give any wideband info as mine isn't working so I am waiting on another one.