Z31 Oxygen Sensor

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

J & J Speed Shop

Z31 Oxygen Sensor

Post by J & J Speed Shop »

Tuning a Z31 for a customer of mine with the Nistune Type 1 board. I was able to hookup to the computer and comm. with no problems. However to run in open loop I decided to unplug the factory oxygen sensor. When doing this I noticed that someone had let the factory plug lay on the cast iron of the turbo and melted almost the whole car side pigtail. I would imagine that finding a factory side pigtail for a 1987 Nissan 300Z would be nearly impossible. I am mainly a GM shop and have tons of GM weatherpack connectors for GM 3 wire oxygen sensors. Anyone see a problem with retrofitting this vehicle to a GM/Bosch 3 wire sensor. I am pretty sure all 3 wire oxygen sensors operate the same ( 1 signal, 1 ground and 1 12v+ for the heater)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

you should be able to cut from the ECU loom side and hopefully solder on another replacement plug

however the O2 side of things I know that wire is high temp rated and does not take to solder. it would be interesting trying to get a plug connected to this end
Legionnaire

Re: Z31 Oxygen Sensor

Post by Legionnaire »

J & J Speed Shop wrote:Tuning a Z31 for a customer of mine with the Nistune Type 1 board. I was able to hookup to the computer and comm. with no problems. However to run in open loop I decided to unplug the factory oxygen sensor. When doing this I noticed that someone had let the factory plug lay on the cast iron of the turbo and melted almost the whole car side pigtail. I would imagine that finding a factory side pigtail for a 1987 Nissan 300Z would be nearly impossible. I am mainly a GM shop and have tons of GM weatherpack connectors for GM 3 wire oxygen sensors. Anyone see a problem with retrofitting this vehicle to a GM/Bosch 3 wire sensor. I am pretty sure all 3 wire oxygen sensors operate the same ( 1 signal, 1 ground and 1 12v+ for the heater)
We had the same problem with mate's R34 - his too had the connector melted so bad that it was impossible to unplug. We needed to replace the sensor, so I bought standard 4-wire bosch one, and used the connector that came with it - it comes with 4 Bosch posi-lock screw connectors. Absolutely no problems with it. Wiring is straightforward. R34 uses only 3-wire sensor, so one sensor wire was not used (ground wire, it's gray on bosch universal O2 sensors). Signal was black, heater were 2 white wires.
As far as i know, GM weatherpacks don't require soldering, so they should be fine.
Cheers,
Petros Katunian
J & J Speed Shop

Matt wrote:you should be able to cut from the ECU loom side and hopefully solder on another replacement plug

however the O2 side of things I know that wire is high temp rated and does not take to solder. it would be interesting trying to get a plug connected to this end
Matt you are correct O2 sensors have stainless steel wire and you cannot solder them. I was talking about a replacement O2 sensor from a late 90's corvette because the sensor in the customers car is of unknown mileage and already has a T tap on it which I am not too fond of. I am just going to replace the harness/ECU side with a weatherpack connector crimped and soldered to match the O2 sensor I am replacing
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

as long as it has similar characteristics and is same type and voltage i dont see any obvious issues
J & J Speed Shop

Works great and the wiring was simple with GM / Delphi Weatherpack connectors. The sensor I used was stock on the 92 Corvette ZR1. All Bosch sensors but this particular sensor has a male weatherpack, so the connectors are easy to find at most NAPA or CARQUEST stores.