Knock warning

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Managed to squeeze the changes in last night, and test it on the bench. All working for CA18 :D

Got to update the patcher for other supported vehicles now and should be all good

Once those code updates are finalised will move the changes into the Type 2 patcher.

The CA18 knock code in the ECU is very similar to Z32/HCR32/BNR32 etc so I dont think those will take long now
MichaS14a

Post by MichaS14a »

How about the knocke code for the S14-ECU? Are you able to implement the new code there too?
Nissan S14a (SR20DET) :-)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

geez one at a time...! its okay... i've got PL hassling me about S13 SR20 also

problem is that those ECUs have internal knock sensing and I've not been able to trigger knock on the expected memory address like I have pre and post filter circuitry on the earlier ECUs

I'm proving the concept on the earlier ones first and support those and then move onto the later ones with testing being actually done on dyno to get through the filtering stuff which I cannot reproduce on the bench

okay tonight I got A31 RB20 going which is the Type 1 equivalent of the R32 RB20... has similar knock code to S13 CA18 which made it easy

now that I've established the Type 1 patcher is doing its job I've now started on the Type 2 patcher by moving the code across. its compiling now and I'm now doing test runs of the patcher to make sure code and subroutines are now inserted correctly. requires a little more work still

Once Type 2 patcher is sorted then it is a similar code move to Type 3/4/5 but I havent update the firmware yet for those. I'll get HCR32/Z32/BNR32 going on Type 2 first and then move onto Type 3 afterwards and get PL to test that for me.
MichaS14a

Post by MichaS14a »

Okay, fine. Then we wait until you are ready to go on to the Type 4 Boards. :D
By the way: Very good work!!!
Nissan S14a (SR20DET) :-)
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

Matt, you're the man ! \o/ \o/

by the way, sorry for the stupid question, but that update will be only on the Nistune software, or will it be relative to the board firmware ?

cheers, and keep doing that tremendous and wonderfull job that is Nistune
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Its an update on both sides... the board gets updated to modify factory ECU code to now collect a count and store it to memory, then adding an extra command in the firmware to retrieve the count and reset it

the nistune software gets updated with both USB consult and Extended consult using the new 'knock count' command to retrieve the knock from the board, and report the count, provide alterts and trace the counts (using the 'knock count' register added) against the maps and red boxes to highlight on fuel map where it is detected

For those who have older firmware who want the update, you will either need a reprogramming board to change it, send to someone like a distributor with a programmer or send it to myself to update the firmware here

unfortuantely there is no built in firmware update process available due to the size of memory available on the boards. we havent needed to change the firmware for about two years now, apart from adding PIN locking firmware
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

So do we need to send the board back to you to change the Firmware so we can get the knock count working on the CA18 ECU's ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

what i can do is organise an exchange over board which may make it easier
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Sounds Good...

What’s the procedure? How can we arrange this?
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:For those who have older firmware who want the update, you will either need a reprogramming board to change it, send to someone like a distributor with a programmer or send it to myself to update the firmware here
How would we know if we got older firmware?

Will this new feature work with my current OBDI 240SX KA24DE ECU?

This is my ECU

Thanks
Charlie
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Type 1 only at this stage. Remember this only just got prototyped this week. I need to test it on vehicles and confirm the patcher hasnt killed anything before testing it

Once I am ready to release it I will organise a procedure for doing this and post on the forums. I'm going to try finishing Type 2 patcher tomorrow
Twin-turboZ

Post by Twin-turboZ »

Hey Matt, for the north American guys i might be able to save some shipping time and cost.
I have a programmer here in Vancouver, Canada and can re-program for those that would like.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

that would be fantastic. I also need some beta testing to be done with various vehicles also

it should pretty much be proven on bench, but just to see how 'useful' its gonig to be on vehicles (ie engine noise from knock noise) it would be good to see peoples responses
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

I wouldn't mind being a beta user, but I don't have any other knock hearing/detection system... sorry... but nay help I might give, I will.
skyline_stu

Re-flashing boards

Post by skyline_stu »

Hi Matt, swing us a firmware update, I'll then be able to test and reflash boards too. :lol:

Stu