Nistune integration with Car PC

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

makro86

Nistune integration with Car PC

Post by makro86 »

Hi everyone,

I have a feeling that this isn't going to be something that a large amount of you will use however I don't think it would be to hard to implement in the application based on my limited knowledge of programming.

I am in the process of planning my 2nd Car PC and am wanting to integrate Nistune into the Car PC user interface.
There is a windows based front end called Road Runner that allows you to customize screens with whatever layout you want.
One of the options is to load another application within one of these screens.
What I really want to do is load the Nistune gauge panel and/or other screens with a one button function in the Car PC front end.

If Nistune could be launched with command line parameters to auto connect consult and wideband, and then show a certain window based on the parameter, I think this idea might work quite well.

Matt, would it be possible to do something like this?

My original idea was to write a small windows application that would talk to the Arduino board. The Arduino board would be hooked to whichever aux sensors I wish to have on the car. It would then process the data coming from these sensors and relay it to the Windows app. I would then execute this Windows app within my Car PC front end. However, if there are plans in place to get Arduino to work with Nistune via a 10 bit stream (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2230&start=0) then there is no point in writing a custom app to do this.

Cheers,
Matt
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Nistune integration with Car PC

Post by Matt »

If Nistune could be launched with command line parameters to auto connect consult and wideband, and then show a certain window based on the parameter, I think this idea might work quite well.
There is a checkbox in File > Config for auto connect consult and wideband. It will pull up the gauges and connect when Nistune starts. Guess I just need to add another for wideband you should be set

Yes I have the Arduino board sitting on my bench but no time yet to even open the package let alone start coding something up for it. Perhaps next week once I have have finished sorting out Type 1 dropouts Simon highlighted last week
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay you should be able to modify my solution which was done tonight. Use the auto connect stuff as before and configure wideband for DLP and use my file on your Arduino board

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2230&p=18339#p18339
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

What progress have you made so far? :) I'm starting to read about Road Runner now too. Standart windows 800x600 desktop is too tiny for 8" display :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Progress is indicated above. Nistune will allow auto connect to consult and wideband, as well as auto opening guages and maps. There is no command driven stuff required to do this

Also the Ardunino firmware for wideband support was added to make it look like a DLP to use with Nistune so I believe the OPs requests have been fulfilled
makro86

Post by makro86 »

Matt, thanks for getting this done! Should work well.

Unfortunately the CarPC project has been put on hold until I figure out a few other issues with the car. (On top of all the other side projects)

Vetal, I have used Road Runner previously in my first Car PC build and it worked very well. Looks nearly like a OEM system and is extremely fast, intuitive, and has plenty of setup options. Lots of support, skins, etc etc. Check it out.

Matt out of curiosity, I'm attempting to twin-charge my car and am looking at using an electronic throttle body (controlled by Arduino) as the supercharger bypass. Would you know off the top of your head what type of control signals are used by any of the common types of electronic throttle body? I tried emailing an Hitachi engineer who could basically not tell me anything due to confidentiality and all that. I've seen people controlling them with Arduinos but they all seem to be 2nd hand items pulled off wrecker cars.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sorry not sure with the throttle body units. Any information available on signals to it would be in the diagnostic section of the service manual. Not sure about anything further on that though
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

makro86, I tried RoadRunner but it was not very intuitive and hanged my PC after 20seconds so I didn't like it much :mrgreen: