consult disconnects

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

bachig24u

consult disconnects

Post by bachig24u »

Maybe we could see a fix for the comms timeout increased in the later additions. Errors similar to "not receiving ecu data" or simply just the Consult turning off by itself even in stream mode.

I would also beg for an improvement to the logging, It mustn't stop after a car stalls. It needs to continue logging after car is started again automatically.
This issue is really important as I can't go out to the race track to start the logging again after a burnout and a stalled engine.
the logging improvment would only be a benefit if Nistune Consult didn't disconnect from a short period of no comms or voltage drop.

recently a thermo fan addded to VLplusT caused constant consult disconnects everytime it turned on at idle or even higher rpm. I confirmed the charging circuit (alternator) was within spec.
Sime
http://www.jps.net.au
tuners@jps.net.au
Calibration Engineer
JPS Motorsports & Electronics
bachig24u

Re: consult disconnects

Post by bachig24u »

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sounds like a reasonable request in regards to the logging. I would need to determine for the consult types if the connection was due to disconnect and then keep the logging going for say 20 seconds before disconnecting if no consult data

As for the USB consult, currently if there are too many retries in a short period of time it will hang up. I can make it try for say 5 seconds after disconnect to reestablish and see how that goes
PL

Post by PL »

Matt, please make this a selectable checkbox if you can. I'd rather just have consult drop out and I can reconnect myself. I'm sick of having it retry multiple times while I sit there watching it!

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

- Checkbox added and affects consult/usb consult reattempt connects
- No logging stop on USB consult (Type 1) unless manually stopped (ie keep going on manual retries)
- Extra disconnect/reconnect full retries on USB consult (Type 1)
- Fixed a threading issue on USB consult (type 1) causing lockups due to multiple copies of same thread
Croustibat

Post by Croustibat »

Nice ! the nistune disconnects on cranking the engine on my car (type 1, ca18det), and this annoys me as i have to burn permanently any try on crank fueling or after start fueling. I would rather not. Will the upgrade you did solve this too ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

If the ECCS relay clicks 'off' during any process the current tune in the board (prior to burn) will be lost regardless

This fix will reestablish connection automatically and keep logging going regardless. I've noticed some issues with the last test version with reconnecting even when intentional disconnect so I've done additional fixes this weekend for another test release soonish
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Thanks Matt, I have been looking forward to this. I'll let you know how I go at WSID in the next few weeks with another street/drag Car.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I need to put the next release up this week (testing) because I had to make some more updates for Type 1
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

either Consult Disconnects
or Fatal Disconnects can be caused from using an Automotive (power socket) laptop charger when connected to Nistune board.

Most likely cause is ground offset voltage.

If Laptop requires charging, recommended to use same supply voltage and earth from ECU.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

These days I've been running just from battery. Used to run with an AC inverter to normal power on previous laptops but not sure if that attributes to disconnection problems
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

yeah for sure, battery only seems to stabilize things.

:idea: The noise from some laptop car charger (switching regs) contribute at varying degrees also no doubt

Sime
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Another one...

*** add ferrites to usb/serial adapters and any other cable that connects to car & PC. ***

some ftdi or silicon labs adapters have them but others like belkins don't.