Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

RomChip200

Re: Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Post by RomChip200 »

There's a recurring display problem on Windows 10 tablets.
Before v1.2.86, I was able to solve it when right-click, switching from small icons to large icons, miraculously, the display was restored as it should be.
IMG_20180706_192513.jpg
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 2689 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Haven't seen that one before.

The entire ImageSel panel has been shifted left, likely due to a problem in getting up X,Y positiion and size from windows screen position functions

This gets reset and adjusted when you do the right click, adjust icons (on previous versions)

1. Does it do this every single time on your tablet, or is it random?
2. Does it do this from a clean startup, or only coming out of hibernate/standby?
3. Does it do this if the window is not maximised?
4. If you un-maximise the window does it reset to normal?
5. If not, If you re-size the window, does it reset to normal?

Can you please export your registry and email it to me?
regedit.exe Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nistune Developments\Nistune
Right click > Export
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

It happens in all conditions on Windows 10 tablets.
On win10 tablets, the Nistune window can only be fully maximized or minimized, the window cannot in the middle and dragged.
On win7 laptops, it's ok with the same registry info.
On win10 laptop, I don't know but I assume it's ok.

Please check the reg file.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks got the reg file. I'll remove it from this post now. I run a Win10 laptop here for my emails, tuning and testing, but don't have access to a Win10 tablet

I'll try another Win10 laptop which I have access to and see if I can repeat it there. Might be related to high screen resolutions
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

It happens on all win10 tablets.
I have 1280x800 and 1920x1200.
Currently 1.2.87 cannot be used as I don't know how to extend the inner icons window.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sorry more questions. I'm not able to repeat the problem (using your registry on Windows 10 laptop) so still to chase down a tablet for testing

You said that it will only minimise/maximise. This may be related so the panel size/position issue

If you 'right click' the top title bar, you do not see a 'restore' window option?

When you 'right click' the panel to use small/large icons, this refreshes the screen display, so I am tracking that down to see what it is doing differently

Updating existing problem report with info here:
http://www.nistune.com/mantis/view.php?id=205
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Found an internal software issue for the display problem. Will be in next build. I would like to resolve the ability to run without 'maximise' on your laptop too
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Hope this problem of windowS is going to be solved for Win10 tablets.
This is a nightmare.

Gauges window is barely usable.
On my tablet, once opened, I cannot minimize or close it anymore. The 3 small buttons on the right top corner of the gauges window have no effect. I have to switch off ignition to drop the Consult communication and to retrieve the control of Nistune.
IMG_20180725_091655[1].jpg
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 2552 times
Eric

Post by Eric »

> Gauges window is barely usable.
> On my tablet, once opened, I cannot minimize or close it anymore. The 3 small buttons on the right top corner of the gauges window have no
> effect. I have to switch off ignition to drop the Consult communication and to retrieve the control of Nistune.

This sounds very similar to the issue I had a while ago (see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3587)
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Eric wrote: This sounds very similar to the issue I had a while ago (see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3587)
Except the version 1.2.86 should have corrected such.

I read again your post, and there's effectively a problem of focus. Typically, the F4/F5 connection shortcuts only work if you clicked previously in the badly shaped window I mentioned in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=26446&e=1&view=unread#unread

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

IMG_20180725_193918.jpg
(798.28 KiB) Downloaded 2535 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hope this problem of windowS is going to be solved for Win10 tablets. This is a nightmare.
This particular (min/max) problem has only been raised two weeks ago. I'm trying to get access to hardware for testing

In the meantime google this issue:
https://www.askvg.com/fix-apps-and-prog ... indows-10/
Actually its not a problem, its a feature by design in Windows 10. You might have heard about the new "Tablet Mode" (aka Continuum) feature introduced in Windows 10. This feature works like a bridge between PC and touch-enabled devices such as tablets. When this Tablet Mode is enabled, all modern apps open in full screen mode and that's why sometimes the main program window is automatically minimized if you open a sub-window in it.
So to fix this problem, you just need to turn the Tablet Mode off. You can disable Tablet Mode using following steps:
Action Center (Notification center) > Tablet mode > disable
Try that in the interim until I can put a solution together
Gauges window is barely usable. On my tablet, once opened, I cannot minimize or close it anymore. The 3 small buttons on the right top corner of the gauges window have no effect.
Do those guages Auto-Open? I fixed that in 1.2.86. There is also a tickbox setting in File > Config. Did you disable that?
Except the version 1.2.86 should have corrected such
Yes it did - tickbox mentioend above
Hope this problem of windowS is going to be solved for Win10 tablets. This is a nightmare.
As I mentioned last post, I'm working on it. Disable tablet mode in the meantime!!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Once I run my Win10 laptop from onboard display, I can force 'tablet mode', and see the same window output you have there
On win10 tablets, the Nistune window can only be fully maximized or minimized, the window cannot in the middle and dragged.
Did you try any other applications in 'tablet mode'?

Well if you do, you may find all desktop applications including 'windows explorer' can only be set to minimise/maximise in tablet mode....

Anyway the 'distorted' top panel problem has been fixed. Version 1.2.88 released today

With the multiple gauges try File > Configuration > Auto open gauges (untick)

Let me know if any other display issues still on this thread. The minimise/maximise behaviour of Win 10 tablet mode I cannot change!
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

OK with tablet mode, it solves one problem.

Of course, Auto-open gauges is disabled, this is not my troubles.

Let's summarize, Nistune has 2 kinds of problem:
1) Design (e.g window location once minimized, buttons, panels location, ...)
2) Performance: this item is getting worse and worse. 1.2.87 perf behavior is worse than 1.2.78. One Consult is connected, Nistune becomes sluggish, windows cannot be moved or closed.Once the connection is dropped by switching ignition key off, sometimes Nistune reacts after 1 minute and gives you the hand back, sometimes, I have to disconnect USB hub, sometimes Nistune crashes, soemtimes I have to kill process and restart.

Machine: Atom 8350, 2GB RAM, 1920x1080, win10

Let me give you key use cases:

1) UC1
IMG_20180726_091023.jpg
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 2518 times
_Consult is connected
_Consult regs window cannot be moved or closed anymore (only ignition off will solve it sometimes)
_Consult gauges window is minimized but unreacheable (hidden by left pane)

2) UC2
IMG_20180726_090920.jpg
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 2518 times
_Consult is connected
_Consult gauges window is opened, not maximized (because if so, the window buttons are so small ...), but the window cannot be closed or moved, 2/3 are displayed only (problem of refresh), the sizes of the rectangles are not all the same (don't ask me why ...)
_again ignition off will solve it sometimes to get back control of Nistune

I just fed up and I assume Eric is in the same feeling.
Eric

Post by Eric »

> I just fed up and I assume Eric is in the same feeling.

No, I'm not fed up with Nistune (if that's what you are referring to..)

The gauges window focus-issue only happened once for me. (knock on wood)
Maybe this is because I'm not using a tablet but a low end laptop (Dell latitude c610 with 1Ghz, 1Gb, no virus scanner, winXP :shock: :D)
Personally I am not a fan of Win10, but I have never experienced any performance issues with Nistune (using latest version atm), even with my old C610 laptop.

I know from experience (also from using my own Conzult software) that the USB type cables can sometimes cause performance issues/hanging.
Never was able to figure out exactly what causes this, but it seems to have something to do with the driver and happens mostly during continuous streams of consult-data (eg. while monitoring many sensor values at once.)
Wireless/Bluetooth type cables are even worse..
That is why I prefer using the old type serial cables (and hence why I'm still using a older laptop with serial port)...these never had this issue.
(However, the serial type cables are hard to find nowadays.)

You could try Nistune on a laptop (clean install) and see if you have the same issues you have on your tablets ?
Maybe the issues you have are related to the OS and/or hardware and have nothing to do with Nistune itself.

-Eric