Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Post by Matt »

I've released an update today with improvements for how graphics are displayed. Details are in the CR previously linked. Let me know how it goes

Previous notes about dedicated graphics/shared graphics still apply. I've seen testing on various PCs that even my Dell 6400 (dedicated graphics) has better display updates (moving windows around etc) than my 2017 Acer (with much faster processor, but shared graphics). Dell still runs Nistune really well with these latest updates and DLP + Consult stream mode and lots of windows and the logger open, so happy with that for 10 year old laptop. However it is running XP which is less resource intensive

See how your Atom goes with just the gauges and the raw view. One thing I noticed with raw view is that each update has to populate all the items in the text box and then refresh the whole box. Its a bit inefficient but let me know how that window goes before I do more updates. I could split each register into a separate line and just update applicable lines which have changed for a slight improvement

With the needle gauges, those will only update now when data changes which will save display updates and make it more efficient
No need to convert to log format if log record is not ongoing
Log format is the same as the display format (decimal to string) so it is done regardless. No extra wasted processing there

The scrollers at the top used a lot of display updates so that's moved into the display scheduler rather than each DLP/consult frame update

The main thing killing your machine is too many display updates, to the point that all the event queues were filling up and freezing all other threads in the machine. This should be resolved now, tested on four different PCs I have here
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Well, this version performs really better. Consult and Wideband buttons react even when connected. Gauges window can be moved once connected.

Thanks to have popped out this lightweight version.
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

But tablet mode is still wrong.
IMG_20180813_184247.jpg
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 1585 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Strange. I tested tablet mode out here. What screen resolution / scaling is that? Below is the 1.2.92 version from today (tablet mode)
z32_tablet_mode.png
(114 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

hmm Still an issue with the copy button. On yours, grey panel need to be stretched out. Maybe like I've not accounted for enough resolution (I think) so will investigate that
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Will try 1.2.92 (was 1.2.91)

Resolution is 1920x1200 :

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Jumper- ... 92122.html
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Problem remains with 1.2.92.

There's a link with the display scaling factor applied by windows to make the UI user friendly. But the scaling factor recommended value causes trouble for Nistune only in tablet mode.

Native resolution 1920x1200, 8" display.
Desktop mode + 200% scaling factor: top window fine, icons have the right size (big enough for one finger)
Tablet mode + 200%: top window cropped, icons would have the right size (big enough for one finger)
Tablet mode + 175%: top window still cropped, icons are smaller
Tablet mode +150%: top window not cropped anymore, icons too small
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Just looking at it now in the 'draw' tool in Visual Studio. Currently top window has a fixed size. However when the DPI changes, and the 'buttons' stretch out it and exceeds the draw length, causing the cropping issues, then window also adds a horizontal scrollbar

I'll see if I can override the 'drawn' dimensions and stretch out to window size. I also broke the copy button function in that version. Should have a fix for both soon
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay fix is avaialble. Windows tablet mode stops some functions getting called :evil:

I've now got my 'window size' function called every time window goes OnFocus (since OnSize not called). The window size function makes the top panel 'stretch' across the top. Since it was never getting called, the default size was used. Let me know how that goes
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

V1.2.93 displays fine in tablet mode and real time behavior is fine too.

I'm happy you solved all of this. Thanks.