Faulty knock detection and disabled flag

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Shaker

Faulty knock detection and disabled flag

Post by Shaker »

Hello.

Not sure, if it's a bug of course - but every time, I upload the map into the ECU I get a number of knocks counted. The engine can be running or not, it makes no difference. The cells in the maps are also marked as knocking (if turned on). I have to reset knocks in the knock warning panel and turn off and on "Mark knocking" in each of the 2 maps.

That's the second problem: In some situations the "Mark knocking" flag of both maps (fuel, ign) is disabled. It is active but I cannot deactivate it, because it is not clickable. I tried a lot - like closing the rom file, opening it again, disconnecting from or connecting to the ECU, downloading the tables, uploading the tables, burning the rom, closing and restarting the app - with no success.
Last time it recovered with no visual reason. Now it's in this state again.

Both versions - the last version and the current version are affected.

Can someone help?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Faulty knock detection and disabled flag

Post by Matt »

Which vehicle are you using? ECU part number?

Can you post here a screenshot? ALT-PRINTSCN to capture, then paste into MSPAINT and save to file and post here
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Of course, sorry.

It's a CA18DET, 23710-39F00. Screenshots will follow, maybe even a screen video of the process.
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Here are 2 videos.
One showing how the "Mark knocking" options is disabled in the fuel map and how it won't become enabled after uploading or re-opening the map.
The other showing that the "Mark Knocking" option is generally enabled. I cannot tell, when and why it happens that it becomes disabled sometimes.

Both videos show the upload process and that there suddenly is a knock count after the upload even though the enging isn't even running. This must be cleared in the Knock warning panel AND by turning off (and on) the "Mark knocking", which of course doesn't work, when this option is disabled, which is quite annoying then.

Enabled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8pkjvEPeSo

Disabled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYvSof_B_z0
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Likely the knocks increased is coming from the ECU itself (there is a routine with a counter which increases a register when it is called and the knock flag is set)

I'll monitor the RAM address after an upload and see if that is the case. Only thing I can do here is clear the register in the software after a sync occours

Not sure with the disabled highlight tickbox, that should be enabled when the ECU supports the 'knock count' register but seems to fall off the radar post initialisation for some reason
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Alright, thanks for taking care. But I'm wondering - am I the first or only user experiencing this? I mean, the nistune people here must be uploading like crazy :D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Likely the issue with upload is because 0x28 (40 byte) buffer when uploading

However the knock counter variable is located at start of read buffer + 21 bytes, so it gets overwritten on upload (before it is subsequently read and cleared)

Too late to increase the firmware buffer location, and I don't really want to reduce the upload size either. Will read the knock counter buffer post upload to clear it out in the firmware.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Resolved for next build
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

The issue tracker site (I guess, that's what it is) doesn't show me anything. White page.

But thank you for the coming solution! :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Webhosting has been moved to a new website. I will need to mantis move that across from the old site...
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Hey, just wondering where the "Knock Count" consult gauge went. It's not listed in the consult gauge selection as well. Has it been removed? I am using 1.2.62 currently. Is there something wrong or do I have to open the knock warning panel from now on to see knock count reported from the ECU?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It wont be listed in the consult gauge selection. Has not been removed (but will not show after you open the logger - due to the other issue you raised where 'highlight knock flags' were not showing)

I'll check it once I finish looking at the other issue with this ECU (duplicate tables)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Just checked this in my working version and 'knock count' shows with/without logger open so that part is resolved. Once I've worked through the tables checking those will upload that version
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

resolved 1.2.54