Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit question ?

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

brisz

Post by brisz »

Why do I need to "run as administrator" with a standard user so I don't get this error ?

Regards,

John
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit question ?

Post by Matt »

It all depends on where your Nistune storage folders are put during installation

The installer puts the files under Documents\Nistune (this includes translation files)

When you run Nistune it will look for this folder. If you run as a different user that location (documents folder) may change

You can update in File > Configuration where you Nistune folder is located if it is located somewhere. Different users cannot see each other documents folders. You can put is somewhere else like C:\data\Nistune and then make Nistune look at that folder
brisz

Post by brisz »

Thanks Matt, nice explanation.
brisz

Post by brisz »

HMMM so if you want to install Nistune on a "normal" user account you cant without having to use admin password ?

Installs to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nistune\Nistune.exe", but puts the folder in "admin" even though installed from the normal user ?

Is this a problem with the test release should I go back to the old version ?

EDIT: Change proposed user to administrator, authorise actions with the proposed account, change back to normal user, fiddly and annoying at best.
brisz

Post by brisz »

HMMM be very careful doing what I suggested above, when I changed the user back to "normal", "my pc" lost all its icons and there were some other issues.

Some corruption occurred during the process, the log file had hundreds of "duplicate ownership" messages.

Took two hours to sort it out. :(

Fresh extensive system build everything straight forward except NIStune, 4 hours plus trying to do a simple install on a "standard" user account !!!

NOT HAPPY ! LOOK AT THE F$%kIN TIME !

Resolved problem with this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

WINDOWS 8 USERS BEWARE !
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yikes.

I'm not sure about needing an 'admin account' for installing. You need admin privileges to install anything on a windows machine these days

I've added in the software to detect any missing folders and the user can then browse for them as prompted. You also have the option to change the folder locations in the File > Configuration window so multiple users can use the same folders (if you move <user>/Documents/Nistune folder elsewhere)