Win 7 Nistune crashing after connecting via consult

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

P10_Goodness

Win 7 Nistune crashing after connecting via consult

Post by P10_Goodness »

Hi,

I'm experiencing a particular issue with Nistune. After connecting via consult, the program will continue to run fine for a few seconds, then freezes (goes not responding) and forces me to close it via the task manager. Reopening Nistune results in the program not seeing any of open com ports. This is only resolved via restarting my laptop.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if the debug log is clean enough. Also, I have an old xp laptop that Nistune will run on without problems so not a huge priority. Thanks!

(a) With a problem description: Nistune freezes after connected to consult for a few seconds
(b) Exact error message (if any): None displayed
(c) Vehicle type (and what Address file you used): Infiniti G20, 0J200 ECU (G20_P10_SR20DE_512_E.adr)
(d) Equipment used (emulator, wideband unit, Type1-4 etc): Type 4 board, wideband not connected to laptop
(e) Steps required to reproduce the problem (if possible): Open Nistune and connect via consult port. Wait < 1 min.
(f) Debug logs: Attached
Attachments
nistune-1130-2142.log
Debug log
(792.53 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Win 7 Nistune crashing after connecting via consult

Post by Matt »

Please use the 0.18 version and let me know if a problem. Many crash issues have been fixed after the release you are using at the moment
P10_Goodness

Post by P10_Goodness »

Thanks Matt, gave it a try and appears to be no change from what I can see. I've attached that log file as well in case you need it.

One thing I didn't notice at first (but does happen in both 12.11 and 0.18 versions) is after Nistune is reopened from freezing, whatever com port that was being used appears in the drop down list with (used) added. I've included a screen shot as well. Not entirely sure it helps, but! Figured it couldn't hurt.
Attachments
com port used.jpg
screenshot of (used) com port appearing
(326.19 KiB) Downloaded 2920 times
nistune-1203-0040.log
0.18 debug log file
(504.77 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

When the software is communicating with the "Prolific" cable you are using the software is making calls to its driver. It obtains a device 'handle' for the COM port which it holds onto and normally releases when finished

Because of the software crashing (either due to Nistune or the driver) the handle never gets released until restarting the computer. You can try using a different USB port to get a new handle but this wont fix the crashing problem

I suspect the driver you are using is problematic. Where was the cable purchased from? Is it a proper prolific chipset cable or likely a counterfeit clone (which are proven not to work properly). It may be the driver crashing perhaps

From the logs
COM3 - Intel Activate Management Technology
COM5 - Prolific USB port
COM6 - Error probing (what is this device in Device Manager?)

COM5 connects okay and stayed connected until an error was encountered:
We requested to read the DTC code (D1) and got response (2E) after this send a stream request command (F0) to the ECU but never got a response.

Can you try another USB-serial converter cable perhaps?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I checked crash report submitted to the website but dont see anything there for this one.
P10_Goodness

Post by P10_Goodness »

Thanks for looking into this Matt, to be honest that cable is one my brother had used so I'm not sure exactly where he got it from. I just ordered a new one a couple days ago from one of Prolific's approved vendors so hopefully that solves this issue. As for COM 6, I didn't have anything connected at the time other than the one prolific cable, not sure what it was seeing there.
Anyway thanks again for your time, hopefully we can chaulk this up to a bad cable.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Make sure you clean out the old drivers. Usually plugging in the cable and then 'uninstall driver'
P10_Goodness

Post by P10_Goodness »

Quick follow up.
Got the new cable and drivers installed. Nistune connects fine and stays connected now, appears to have been an issue with the old cable. Thanks for your help.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No probs. Suspect the drivers for the cable were bad