nistune crashing

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Re: nistune crashing

Post by Matt »

Stiv

Attached are the latest FTDI 02.08.12 drivers for Windows XP/Vista/Win7 available from their website. I've updated the INF files to suit PLMS USB consult cables and Type 1 boards

CDM02.08.02 WHQL - Microsoft certified drivers
CDM02.08.08 - Previous FTDI bugfix drivers (now removed from FTDI site). This is what 0.9.8.14/22 both come released with
CDM02.08.12 - Latest FTDI bugfix drivers (as of March 2011). This is what FTDI are planning to submit for Microsoft for next certification. Once FTDI has certified their drivers then Nistune will submit our certification to Microsoft via FTDI with our signiture so this warning message wont occur in future releases (and also will install drivers automatically rather than the manual process required now)

Uncertified drivers have that warning message indicating they have not been qualified. We are going to release 02.08.12 in the next release

I haven't had a chance to 02.08.12 INF updates completely yet in all configurations, but running them at the moment on my Win7 machine.

ry upgrading to these and let me know if still problems. If the whole screen is freezing up its a driver issue

Nistune (application) doesnt run in Ring0 (driver level) of the Windows kernel so if any Nistune specific issues can only crash (shut itself down) or freeze up (kill through Task Manager) at worse

Currently my Win7 64 bit laptop will get BSOD (blue screen of death) on disconnect/power off of the USB device using PLMS cable so looking into that at the moment. Think those are the latest drivers so I'm a bit concerned about that at the moment. Might see if it does it with other software. May have to close the device differently

Anyway doing massive internal updates at the moment otherwise for the next release to fix stability issues
Attachments
CDM20812 - Nistune.zip
FTDI drivers 20.08.12
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
stiv

Post by stiv »

Matt wrote:Stiv

Attached are the latest FTDI 02.08.12 drivers for Windows XP/Vista/Win7 available from their website. I've updated the INF files to suit PLMS USB consult cables and Type 1 boards

CDM02.08.02 WHQL - Microsoft certified drivers
CDM02.08.08 - Previous FTDI bugfix drivers (now removed from FTDI site). This is what 0.9.8.14/22 both come released with
CDM02.08.12 - Latest FTDI bugfix drivers (as of March 2011). This is what FTDI are planning to submit for Microsoft for next certification. Once FTDI has certified their drivers then Nistune will submit our certification to Microsoft via FTDI with our signiture so this warning message wont occur in future releases (and also will install drivers automatically rather than the manual process required now)
put the new cable driver on and it's fixed the problem, no more crashing but it is running very slow and stopping from time to time for between 2 and 5 sec's
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay good as I thought - FTDI driver issue not software issue

You mean the consult scroll bar is slowing down? Would also be saying 'retrying' at the bottom of the screen?

Its having troubles with the vehicle. Too much electrical noise

See here for more info. Basically check and clean all grounds etc
http://nistune.com/docs/Installation_an ... ostics.pdf
Benne

Post by Benne »

yeah, new drivers work very well, no more freezing screen! :mrgreen:

Thanx Matt!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Additional crash issues fixed next issue:

- Grid cell update from threads (collides with user updates - mainly noticeable when Trial or Map Highlighting enabled)

- Vista default values for Registry keys that doesnt exist = 0xCCCCCCCC which were not being checked when assigning registry values

- Consult callbacks timing out when Windows Message Box appears following disconnection. Timeout would then start the shutdown process again. When message box disappears consult already shutdown causes crash

- Windows freezing up completely. FTDI driver issues using latest drivers in next thread and user selectable auto driver install
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Found issue with log player potential crash inside Vista (default logging path does not have write permissions in this OS due to extra security added). Fixed
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Found and fixed some Divide by zero crashes for some wideband RPM calculations (when Number of Cylinders = 0). This happens on wideband connection with no address file open (hence cant determine num cylinders and uses default =0)