Non-existant logs?

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

ST240

Non-existant logs?

Post by ST240 »

So i just went and logged a whole bunch of runs to post up here... You can see and select them via "browse" through the player, but they're all blank. They also dont exist if you try to goto the "logs" directory through windows. Also, all my logs from other days are gone too... Never had this happen before. Very frustrated.

What gives?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Non-existant logs?

Post by Matt »

Dare say they are there if you have been clicking yes to 'keep log file'. There is no facility in the software to delete the logs otherwise

What is your current logging folder under File-Configuration?

What files are showing inside explorer in this folder? Screen shot?
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Matt wrote:Dare say they are there if you have been clicking yes to 'keep log file'. There is no facility in the software to delete the logs otherwise

What is your current logging folder under File-Configuration?

What files are showing inside explorer in this folder? Screen shot?
I think so, I was logging fine before. My current logging folder is the Logs folder in the nistune directory.

The folder is EMPTY, but it still shows them in the "browse" window in the logger. This is also very strange because I have logs from a lot of other days that seem to have disappeared. I can even select one, select "copy", but when you goto paste it, it says it does not exist. Very strange.
ST240

Post by ST240 »

My apologies: It's not Nistunes fault. It's some sort of windows7 permissions windows-is-a-buggy-piece-of-shit issue... I googled it and it seems people have the same problem but with other programs like word, etc where you can browse for files. All my logs have little "locks" on the icons, and like i said, you can only see them in the "browse" window, the directory itself appears to be blank (due to the permissions bs). Same thing the guys in the googled results were reporting. I didn't find any solid answers as to why this is happening. I think it thought the usb cable was a "user" or something like that. I don't know why it decided to just do this now.

I'm betting this won't be the last you hear of this...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yeah I know it works fine in XP (which I stick with) but I need to still jump on Windows 7 to give it a shot since all PCs will come out with that now
kenbam

Post by kenbam »

I just had the same issue with some logs i was getting for matt. The folder they should have been in was empty, so i did a search on files created today and sure enough they were there.
ST240

Post by ST240 »

kenbam wrote:I just had the same issue with some logs i was getting for matt. The folder they should have been in was empty, so i did a search on files created today and sure enough they were there.
Thats all fine and dandy, but did you try to access them? If you try to copy and paste them out of the search gives you a "file not found" error. Some of them were completely blank, but ones from previous days werent.

Like i said, Nistune isn't the only program having this issue. Get Bill Gates on the phone...
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Isnt this caused by the Virtual Store function of windows7? Programs no longer have write permission in the programfiles map, thus any file created there by an application is actually stored in the virtual store. Somewhere like C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Solution is to either run the application with administrator rights, or to grant the application directory full control permission.
Security overdone if you ask me :x
ST240

Post by ST240 »

KillerB wrote:Isnt this caused by the Virtual Store function of windows7? Programs no longer have write permission in the programfiles map, thus any file created there by an application is actually stored in the virtual store. Somewhere like C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore
WTF. Theres all my logs in there... How do I not get it to do that? I'm logged in as the admin all the time :x . My user folder has a lock on it lol.

edit: even when i copy and paste them out, i still cant view them. man windows is a piece of shit.

edit2: i had to paste them into a different folder. What a joke...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Change your log folder save directory. By default these are in C:\Program files\Nistune\Logs which worked fine in pre-Vista days

I guess we will have to put them somewhere else now.... perhaps My Documents\Nistune\Logs?
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Matt wrote:Change your log folder save directory. By default these are in C:\Program files\Nistune\Logs which worked fine in pre-Vista days

I guess we will have to put them somewhere else now.... perhaps My Documents\Nistune\Logs?
Yeah. Now its c\nistune files\. Hopefully that works.