Steady State Dyno Tuning

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

klattr1

Steady State Dyno Tuning

Post by klattr1 »

Just was wondering how many people were able to successfully make changes on the fly to the timing and fuel maps under WOT steady state dyno tuning? I've tried several times highlighting the 4 active/interpolated cells that the car resides at during "steady state" and then hitting the + or - keys to make changes on the fly but Nistune seems to always immediately crash when making changes to active cells.

This is the only way I can expedite creating timing maps that are exactly what the motor wants on the dyno so I can maximize HP/TQ at every RPM breakpoint. Otherwise without it working, it takes too many dyno runs and examining the charts to yield MBT by doing it the conventional way and therefore the engine ends up heatsoaking more than steady state tuning normally yields.

Are others having luck doing it or is it my computer/setup that is the problem or possibly my strategy? I'm using the serial to USB converter that Matt normally recommends and running the latest Nistune on a netbook w/ Windows 7.
PL

Re: Steady State Dyno Tuning

Post by PL »

I must admit that I rarely tune steady state at full boost. I do at part throttle and boost transition, but I've always seen steady state tuning at full boost as the place for engine dynos - where coolant and oil temps can be more easily controlled.

But that's not what this is about. Your problem is that your connection is dropping out. Normally you should be able to make changes at full load no problem. I've had cars that have caused similar problems - and they've all been due to (poorly done) engine conversions.

The most common culprit is poor earth/power connections. The main points of note are that you need good clean connections from the earth lugs on the engine loom (the two lugs that bolt to the inlet manifold on most Nissans). These are usually the only earths for the system (= single point earth). Then you need a good solid earth from the engine to chassis and to battery negative.

Many of these engines are now getting pretty old too, so things like noisy alternators can also add to the noise that will cause an unreliable connection.

Matt may be able to add more, but I know the first thing he'll ask is what engine/ECU you're talking about.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

but Nistune seems to always immediately crash when making changes to active
Are you saying the application dies or you get a disconnection?

If there is too much electrical noise on the line it will hose the consult connection, as PL mentioned this can be rectified by securing grounds and getting rid of electrical gremlins so the USB connection can be more stable
klattr1

Post by klattr1 »

Matt wrote:
but Nistune seems to always immediately crash when making changes to active
Are you saying the application dies or you get a disconnection?

If there is too much electrical noise on the line it will hose the consult connection, as PL mentioned this can be rectified by securing grounds and getting rid of electrical gremlins so the USB connection can be more stable
Yeah it get's disconnected and sometimes the application crashes in result and sometimes it doesn't....this is on a 95 Nissan 240sx KA24DE...I'll check my grounding points like Pete suggested and go from there.