Data Logging Module

Discuss hardware enhancements, suggestions, and wishes here.

Moderator: Matt

J30_VG33ET

Data Logging Module

Post by J30_VG33ET »

This isn’t so much an enhancement as an additional product. Often I don’t want to have the laptop in the car while “testing”. It’s awkward, expensive, etc. Also, there are times when I’d like to log some sensor data out of the blue (engine’s knocking for some reason, running funny…). And lastly, you’re not likely to have the laptop in the car at the track. In fact, you probably can’t.

So, I propose a standalone data logger module.

Basic features:
Dual USB Ports.
USB powered.
SD / SDHC Card slot.
Power Light / Recording light, could be dual state LED.
Switch input to activate logging.

Set-up:
Plug into computer thru USB. Format memory card, upload WBo2 configuration, set logging preferences (continuous or timed interval), download data.

Operation:
USB port to NIStune receives data stream. Module puts NIStune into logging mode (rather than tuning mode) when plugged in for higher data rate to module.
Second USB port accepts WBo2 stream, logs to datafile as NIStune does now.
Switch can be wired by used as desired. Momentary input initiates timed logging, continuous is just that.

Does this sound good to any others?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That setup would require a microprocessor of sorts to run the thing, the power could come from the consult connector when plugged into the vehicle

It would require quite a whole new write of software to get it up and running and need to talk file systems and log on the fly with new consult protocol via the usb port. It would require perhaps an embeded OS or at least a bunch of libraries for the file system part

It isn't something I can fit in my schedule for the next two years! The guy that does ECUtalk already has an embedded display, it would probably be more feasible to add data logging into something like that rather than construct a whole new thing from scratch with Nistune

Engineering these kind of things takes a long time. Nistune took about 4 years to get it to this point and thats with four boards which shared similar design, parts, code and ECU architecture.
Seank

Post by Seank »

Suggestion off the top of my head.
Use an old laptop that meets the minimum req's.
Set it up to run with the top closed and runs off power from the car.
Connect Nistune/Sensors/power
Strap the laptop down say under the passenger's seat or another location where it could be secured to meet the racing body's regulations.
Drive and log?
MichaS14a

Post by MichaS14a »

For now I make logs with ECUTalk. The only thing I miss is the support for the signal from the wideband lambda. This would be a great addition.
Anything else goes fast and clean:

- Start ECUTalk
- Select the sensors to log (only once as ECUTalk saves the selection).
- Connect to ECU and log.

I try in a few days if I am able to load a log from ECUTalk in NIStune and can make a replay.

I am nearby to build up a car-pc to be able to make a log where ever I want without having a laptop on the passengers seat all the time.

The greatest thing ever would be a solution that is able to log the signals e.g. from the Defi Gauges also so things like boost and EGT are in the log too.
Nissan S14a (SR20DET) :-)
J30_VG33ET

Post by J30_VG33ET »

So does the ECUtalk work with non-Consult (Type1) NIStune boards through the Consult eXtend protocol (USB port)? I didn't think that was the case.

MichaS14a, if you could figure out how to communicate with the serial data coming off the Zeitronix, you'd have WBo2, boost, EGT, 5v user input & RPM, TPS (though redundant). Matt has it worked very well in NIStune.
MichaS14a

Post by MichaS14a »

J30_VG33ET wrote:So does the ECUtalk work with non-Consult (Type1) NIStune boards through the Consult eXtend protocol (USB port)? I didn't think that was the case.
Sorry I forget this. For now I have tested ECUTalk with success on some S14 and a R33.
J30_VG33ET wrote:MichaS14a, if you could figure out how to communicate with the serial data coming off the Zeitronix, you'd have WBo2, boost, EGT, 5v user input & RPM, TPS (though redundant). Matt has it worked very well in NIStune.
I don't have a Zeitronix so I am not able to do any tests with this solution. Thank you for your informations. I don't know that there where a box still out that can log this type of informations.
Nissan S14a (SR20DET) :-)
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

get yourself an assus eee pc...

if you dont need colour and things like that and just a basic o/s then it is money well spent... a fancy display with all your trimmings is going to be 300 easy... and the benifits of eepc... mobile you can get touch screen you can dash mount it... I have tought about this alot as I like to tune when i feel like it and hate having to always set the pc up for that..
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

chris2712au wrote:get yourself an assus eee pc...

if you dont need colour and things like that and just a basic o/s then it is money well spent... a fancy display with all your trimmings is going to be 300 easy... and the benifits of eepc... mobile you can get touch screen you can dash mount it... I have tought about this alot as I like to tune when i feel like it and hate having to always set the pc up for that..
Check out the blitz RVIT DS

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/electon ... vit_ds.htm

just a thought..
crans

Post by crans »

Easily done. I'll make this. I have been working on a fuel injection system for my quad bike the SBC we use for the ECU would probably work quite well as a data logger. i will give it some though over the next week.