Input and Output to actuators/sensors (in the future)

Discuss hardware enhancements, suggestions, and wishes here.

Moderator: Matt

Bernardd

Input and Output to actuators/sensors (in the future)

Post by Bernardd »

Since we know the input for the fuel temp sensor for the z31 ecu, can we utilize this for another purpose........say an IAT combined with a map sensor? Assuming the code is doable. Or finding an unused or freeing up an output like the that idle controller and using to control water inj or boost control? I'm bugging a few guys at work that could help out. They were 6800 programs waaaay back. Any thoughts on this? Interesting? Crazy? Dumkopf? Aushlache? 8)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

sounds too hard.... seriously though you need to find an A/D output register, read it and then we can mointor it

if you want to take something the ecu actually uses, you would need to stub out where the ecu uses it, change the ecu to use that value and then read the ram address

instead, i suggest using wideband extra inputs and reading through that interface. i am going to support that in the software and its hell of a lot easier
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

it's much worse than you suspect (stinky know's all about my fondness of the map/nissan ecu setup) I'd like to use a known input for the iat along with a map rather than the maf and calc load that way. i'll go off on my own tangent for this and try some things.
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Nice to hear the other wideband inputs will be supported. Boost logging here I come.

As far as finding another input for an IAT I can imagine there's an extra one. The cali ecus use an egt input so theres probably an extra pin on the a/d converter for that sort of thing.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

now i've got the T/E on my desk, im doing the code to use two auxillary inputs.

what i will do is give you an aux1.csv and aux2.csv files to use to convert volts to output value

i linearly interpolate those values in the table against measured volts and display it on the screen and log it to your log

you can use it for boost, outside temperature whatever etc
Dino

Post by Dino »

...maybe this is a silly idea but could the potentiometer which is used for checking the error-codes (and which you cut/removed to place the USB-plug) be a usable input for additional features....

what kind of input is that?

Dino
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

good question.... it sets the mode to either read A/F mixtures, DTC codes and also sets IDLE RPM fine tune on my car

it would go into the HD46510 but i dont know what register is a result. however modifications to the ECU would not be simple to use this input since I would also have to disable all the other code that uses that input

the autopatcher currently only intercepts the interrupt routine and runs my code.

any disabling of other ECU code will require additional patch routines to cut/replace them and are ECU dependent. this is why i suggest using wideband inputs which are currently implemented for techedge. you can take a 0 - 5 volt input and then use a translation table for whatever you want

i haven't forgot about the innovate unit either. i will be getting a chunk of time in the next few weeks to start looking at the SDK. if someone was willing to loan me their unit for testing that would help also but i can always post out test releases for testing the serial communications
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

What ecu is in question here, the Z31?

Does anyone happen to have a basic correct (dis).ASM for this ?

For the outputs, first you need to map out the 6303's port pins to the original outputs. Surely there are a couple emissions related solenoids on the engine that would use a switching transistor on the board itself (these are the easiest to steal).

Once the port pin(s) is mapped on the hardware side, finding out how the code switches it originally is a trivial task. Assuming the emissions related code is fairly well condensed and not spread out all over the program, The routine(s) can be patched so that both the output control is freed up, and the space within the original program loop re-used for the modified switching routine.

Its actually nice to have all the extra emissions stuff, both for the hardware aspect and because of the good amount of code space and ram available. The code space can also be used for other modifications, as an example I have my launch limiter and consult timing correction modifications done in what used to be AIV routine.

If you have an egr temp sensor input, this is good. Assuming it uses a thermistor and hd46510 channel, the hardware would support an IAT thermistor with only a few bias resistor changes.

The egr sensors dont seem to use a standard thermistor table > real world temp value conversion like that of the coolant sensor within the code, so this function would need to be coded in (otherwise you would just have and 8 or 10bit ADC value to use).

It would be rather easy as so long as there is free space/emission routine (and if code isnt very cryptic).
Last edited by GZ@hybridka on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

I think I meant 6802, and not 6303 above, but all still applies.

About the diagnostic potentiometer, I think that uses the AD (46508/10), but seems to be set up on a pin as a comparator on my ecu's and not an ADC. It could probably be reconfigured, but I wouldnt want to try it. Maybe with the hd46510 at least you have a proper datasheet (iirc).

Im still looking for hd46508cpa-2 datasheet for plcc44, cant find it anywhere.
Willy

Post by Willy »

My SR20DET ECU has an output for the stock boost solenoid, that I have removed since I have an aftermarked boost controller. It would be very nice to use this for something else, but most probably quite difficult.