bluetooth consult adapters and what can be done with them

Discuss hardware enhancements, suggestions, and wishes here.

Moderator: Matt

rsxse240

bluetooth consult adapters and what can be done with them

Post by rsxse240 »

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. I want to clean things up and get rid of a bunch of wires. I want to add bluetooth technologies to my car and I have a few questions.

I like Stu's stuff with what he's done with blusult and all that and it's been a while since I've seen any kind of updates (I hope he's doing ok), but I want to know if it is possible to utilize the extra pins on the car's consult plug to the bluetooth transmitter and transmit my wideband over the same signal eliminating the need for multiple bluetooth transmitters and receivers.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers and what can/cannot be done with them but I am capable of modifying wiring and what not.

Secondly, will I be frowned upon for asking about products that aren't sold/produced by PLMS developments such as consult adapters and cables or should I just save face and not ask about that (I have found plenty of way less expensive options and I'm a real cheapskate)
skylinegtrhr

Re: bluetooth consult adapters and what can be done with them

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Just remember
cheapskate always pays twice
:D
PLMS products are most stable consult interface on the market,
You can buy cheap ebay cable save 50$ and then go to dyno pay 200$ one hour and waste 45 minutes on connectivity problems,so smart cheapskate always buys quality product :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I haven't heard from Stu in a while unfortunately. He has the cables all ready to go and has hit health issues again since :(

PLMS developed the original schematic based from reverse engineering done on Techtom units. Those schematics are on the net and freely available. Most cables are based from this design

Since then they have been changed to a USB version and extra filtering has been added and monitored using a scope for various noise frequencies. Using consult in standard stream mode appears immune to electrical noise. However using Nistune where data is send/received to the ECU we cannot have any noise which would affect the data. Third party cables more prone to picking up and passing on this noise results in corrupt data and disconnections frequently

The worse the noise on the car, the more errors and disconnects. PLMS cables filter most of this noise out where as the other cables will not and will have more errors when using Nistune
rsxse240

Post by rsxse240 »

I certainly agree that a quality product is commonly going to cost more. The fact that I'm a cheapskate seems to have drawn away from the original question of the possibility of wiring in my wideband into the bluesult transmitter (or what ever one I choose) and everything work normally. I just tossed that information in there to let you know why I am doing what I'm doing. I would LOVE to get real deal PLMS stuff, but it's going to cost way more that I feel is a fair price for what I am buying.

so do you think it's possible to utilize the extra consult pins to carry the wide band over the same bluetooth adapter or am I going to have to get another bluetooth transmitter for the wide band?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

You would need another consult adaptor. Also remember most cheaper consult units are serial only