I cant Connect my Wideband to my Laptop? AEM UEGO

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

1SIKZ31

I cant Connect my Wideband to my Laptop? AEM UEGO

Post by 1SIKZ31 »

Hey!
Matt!
hows it going...
I installed my AEM UEGO Wideband and everything is working well except im a little confused...
I bought a RS232 port, and ran the wire (not the 0-5v one but the other one I cant remember the name of it right now) to the RS232 port, and the other pin to ground.

I opened up nistune and went to config and put Wideband AEM UEGO, and then it said "port: COM3" and theres no other options so I was stuck on that.

I clicked on both Wideband RH and wideband LH and tried the AFR Trace with no luck?
It says nistune cannot find the AEM UEGO....
Help?
Thanks a bunch!
Also... Is autotuner available on the consumer version (the version I have) of nistune... or only on the tuners license?

thanks! :D
In the Works:
Z32 MAF
Holset HX35W
Custom 3 Inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO Wideband

Shooting for 400rwhp on the stock Longblock
9:1CR
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

attached instructions for UEGO
Attachments
UEGO_instructions.pdf
AEM UEGO Instructions
(517.3 KiB) Downloaded 2383 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Autotuner and all other functions are available in both licenses

Check firstly the RS-232 connection with a terminal program as per manual

BLUE - pin 2 of DB9 connector
BLACK - pin 5 of DB9 connector

Set up Hyperterminal as per page 7 and check you get AFRs output to the screen. If that works then NIStune should work

If not then you have a wiring problem. Also what is the COM port that you are connecting to on the PC? Does COM3 only appear when USB converter (?) plugged in

Normally COM3 is reserved for Modem on most laptops...
that guy

innovative

Post by that guy »

hey matt when I connect to my wide band the value just reads 320 or32.0 and doe'nt move. Do you have instructions? im not as smart as you are Im sorry.
that guy

innovative

Post by that guy »

ohhhhhh I have an innovative Lm1
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Check the NIStune software users manual for Innovate. Instructions for setting up are in there.

Basically select Innovate, the COM port and your wideband lookup tables directory in File-Configuration and should work from there
1SIKZ31

Post by 1SIKZ31 »

Ive got Windows Vista Home edition...
Ive checked the ENTIRE computer for hyperterminal and hyper terminal (space between the words) and came up with nothing at all... its also not under accessories or anywhere in "all programs"...
Tomorrow I will verify the pins...

On the other side of things, I went to program files > Nistune > Wideband and found a big list of widebands and a read me document, but didnt find the AEM UEGO as part of that list?

Also what is the COM port that you are connecting to on the PC? Does COM3 only appear when USB converter (?) plugged in

uhhh... Not sure about how to figure this one out?
Im directly connecting the RS-232 "plug" straight in to the laptop, which is connected to a ground as per instructions, and the serial wire (per instructions) but will double check tomorrow...
After Im plugging in the RS-232 port to the computer, im clicking on wideband LH and/or wideband RH with no results (Cant find it)

Also under config I DO have AEM UEGO selected...

Thats all I have done so far...
thanks man...

Oh and off topic (to matt)...
Whenever Im driving my car (with or without laptop connected doesnt matter), the car runs fine but RANDOMLY "misses"?
Like it will be literally PERFECT and my wideband will be in the 14.7AFRS and then when it "misses" the wideband BRIEFLY jumps to mid 11's or high 10's for a SPLIT second and goes back to normal...
So whatever is causing this is making the AFR go crazy rich?
Weird...
Possibly a tune issue? (My "other" nistune ECU before it got fried did the SAME random thing...
weird...
In the Works:
Z32 MAF
Holset HX35W
Custom 3 Inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO Wideband

iaredam

Post by iaredam »

With windows vista, they've removed the free version of hyperterm. You can try this replacement, which also supports ssh:
http://www.celestialsoftware.net/ - 30 day trial

http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html - not sure about this one though, supposed to be like the original hyperterm
1SIKZ31

Post by 1SIKZ31 »

Ok I just downloaded the program, but no idea how to use it?

please see attachment...
I attached a screenshot of my desktop for reference to what im looking at...
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
(107.61 KiB) Downloaded 14873 times
In the Works:
Z32 MAF
Holset HX35W
Custom 3 Inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO Wideband

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

okay. Vista doesnt come with Hyperterm. So try teraterm
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

1. After install click Serial and select COM port
2. Default settings 9600 / 8 bits / no parity are already set so you should receive data straight away... I did

it might be a bit easier to use and a bit more straight forward. I use this program at work all the time so can help you through with that one

In regards to the missing. Check over your ignition system firstly. I had random misses occuring all the time few weeks ago. It was a spark plug lead not pushed in far enough causing this problem.

If you suspect its board/ECU releated, send me your tuned ROM image through and I'll burn it in a chip and mail it through. You can try that out on the two ECUs you have there. Im running the latest firmware version for a while now on my car (Patch Rev14/Xilinx Rev H) and no missing issues

Did you fix your problem with water getting into the car where the ecu was?!
Attachments
teraterm_setup.JPG
tera term
(39.19 KiB) Downloaded 14871 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

also I forgot to add....

UEGO reports the AFR in text to the laptop as you can see on the screenshot.

So this means NIStune doesnt use AFR lookup tables. Dont worry about the directory because NIStune doesnt use it for this particular wideband unit

Once you can see this on the screen in teraterm then your unit is working and then NIStune should see it. I just tried it then with the simulated AFR inputs with NIStune and works fine here
1SIKZ31

Post by 1SIKZ31 »

OK!
I GIVE UP!
Almost.... :oops:

Hmm...
Ok I did a continuity test between PIN 5 and a fresh ground and got perfect continuity.
I then did a Continuity check between PIN 2 (Blue serial Wire) and the wideband and got perfect continuity.

Its using a fresh ground and the Blue Serial Wire off the Wideband, the White wire has been taped off and NOT being used.

Soo...
Im pretty sure its officially not the car thats acting up, but windows itself?

I tryed Teraterm and tried COM1, COM2, COM3, and COM4 with no success.
It actually said "connected" to COM3 but it says this even if the wideband RS-232 port is completely disconnected from the laptop.

Soo... What now?
thanks again matt! :)
In the Works:
Z32 MAF
Holset HX35W
Custom 3 Inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO Wideband

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I would do the following:

1. Take a photo of the installation from the serial port output from the unit to the RS232 connector going into your PC and post it here/send to AEM for them to check

2. Find out for sure which COM port your RS232 is going to. Is it plugged directly into the PC or is it going via USB seerial converter

(a) If plugged into a PC with native serial ports then it should be COM1 or COM2 and displayed in Device manager

(b) If the PC has an internal modem you can check the COM port of the modem in Device manager (usually COM3)

(c) If plugged into a USB-Serial converter you can check the assigned COM port number under Device Manager

(If the USB-serial converter is outside the COM port range teraterm can display then you can reassign it to something like COM4 using device manager)

Only attempt to connect to the COM port in teraterm that you know exists on the machine and you know what you are physically connected to.

Blindly trying each COM port out without knowing which one it actually is in device manager is going to be pot luck

Once you know your COM port, to test your COM port basic functioanlity you can connect pin 2-3 together on port and then when you type a character into the terminal it should spit it back at you with teraterm

If the COM port works with 2-3 connected, then try the UEGO output on this COM port and check teraterm for output
1SIKZ31

Post by 1SIKZ31 »

Ok!
I just tried this all of what you said of your last post with no luck!

I tried using a friends laptop (windows XP Home) that had "hyper terminal" and couldn't get anything to connect, it just seems like im going to have to use a "different" way of doing this?

A Local store next to me sells "Serial to USB" converters, could i pick one of these items up, or is it alot safer to pick up a converter from you or a link you can provide me to?

Ive tried everything and anything to connect my AEM UEGO to the laptop, the pins are connected correctly, and continuity exists as well...

Could I connect my multi-meter up to the "serial" output to check anything?
If so, would this be a continuity or a voltage check?

Because this is leading me to believe that the AEM UEGO isn't outputting a signal to the RS-232 port, since neither of the laptops that ive used or have been using are working with the UEGO...
Thanks matt
:)
In the Works:
Z32 MAF
Holset HX35W
Custom 3 Inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO Wideband

1SIKZ31

Post by 1SIKZ31 »

matt?