Can Not Configure Wideband

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

SrDatsun510

Can Not Configure Wideband

Post by SrDatsun510 »

This is my first go round with tuning so this is going to be a learning process for me.

I'm at the point of trying to connect my AEM uego wideband and I'm completely lost. I was reading through the manual from nistune.com under section 15 "configuring wideband auxillary inputs". Now I have read through this section and connected my wideband as described connecting the blue wire from the gauge to pin #2 and a ground to pin # 5. Is that all that is needed under section 15?

I'm using crappy windows 8 so I do not have the hyper terminal to verify the settings. I tried to download some other program to do so and....... got all types of pop up viruses. So I'm in the process of fixing that now.

Based on my USB to Serial Cable I was able to confirm that it was connected, so I guess that is a good sign.

Now my next question is coming from section 16 " Setting up Wideband. I'm looking at the configuration screen shoot that is there and I cant seem to locate this with in the Nistune Progam.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
SrDatsun510

Re: Can Not Configure Wideband

Post by SrDatsun510 »

Ok, I made some progress. I was able to understand the configuration and changed the wideband type to AEM Uego AFR. Under the port type there were two, and one was serials to USB which I selected. When I did this and I clicked on the Wideband connect button on the program the screen popped up and registered 9. When I started the car it would stay at 9, no changes.

I read the post before this one in which he was having the same problem. I tried to down load the teraterm that was linked but when I go to the set up it fails......
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

Went directly to the Tera Term download and was able to get the program up. Using the Pro 4.xx version. When I try and connect it recognizes the USB / Serial ( Com 5 : USB to Serial Cabel (COM 5). I hit OK and the next thing I do is go to set up/ serial port. Port = COM 5 Baud Rate = 9600 Data = 8 bit Parity = none Stop = 1 bit Flow Control = none. When I hit ok nothing happens usually. One time I did the same process and I got a bunch of random symbols. But now that I'm trying again for the second time......Nothing.

Once again when I got into Nistune it recognizes the wide band, once I open it goes to 9.00 and does not move when the car is started.

Update: I reconnected all my wires going into the DB9 to make sure connection was not the issue. Now when I connect t the Tera Term it shows 0.00 over and over again.
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

Trying to play with it more and I'm consistently getting no feedback from the wideband gauge. teraterm is not showing any feedback. When I'm in nistune the connect wideband highlights green and when I click it it will open then say can not connect or something of that nature.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Contact AEM support since a terminal program should display the AFRs if you have the RX and GND lines hooked up correctly to the correct COM port

Once AFRs are displayed (say 14.7 display at idle rather than 00.0) then Nistune can work with that output to display in the software
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

I called AEM and the only solid advice I received from them is to try another USB to Serial converter. He said that he has seen more not read than can read......
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes that is true. Use a good quality cable with FTDI chipset and you should be fine
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

I have used 3 different cables, no luck. Gigaware 2603487- http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... d=24192246
Belkin -http://www.frys.com/product/5756282?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG and Micro Connectors - http://www.frys.com/product/5814543?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG.

On the Belkin one there are a three led lights. Link , TX , And RX. When I had it plugged in the Link would light up green and the RX would light up red. Not sure what that means.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Perhaps data is being received if blinking quickly. Check your terminal program and inside Nistune
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

Turns out my gauges itself is bad. I have a friend with the same gauge and we hooked his up and it did exactly what it was suppose to do.

Now on another note, I'm trying to get the car to get to a good 14.7 at idle. It's really close , bouncing between 14.6-15.1. I'm trying to follow the instructions in the user manual v1.6 section 11. Injector Multiplier Adjustment. Is this just an old manual covering information on the older versions of nistune? I'm looking for the "flags" box which does not exist on the fuel map. Its a little confusing.

I guess being so new to any type of tuning I'm looking to follow things step by step, which I understand can change when making newer versions.

Question for you Matt. So if I have the consult connected and bring the map from the ECU into nistune, then make a change to say the K Constant or the Latency, does that change it automatically on the fly? Or do I need to hit the "Upload to ECU" button for the changes to take affect?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That will do it :-(

Tickboxes have now been moved to right click menus. I'll need to update the manual for that GUI update

If you have auto ticked / press apply then changes are automatically made. You will see 'uplaoded' on the bottom LHS panel when you have made a change

Try and aim for your STFT and LTFT to be around 0% when adjusting K constant at about 2000rpm. After this tweak your latency to get your idle right
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

Matt wrote:
Tickboxes have now been moved to right click menus. I'll need to update the manual for that GUI update
Still can not find it through the right click menus, but I did read another thread that the guy found it in "feedback switch 1" on the left side panel. Then I guess by unchecking the O2 Sensor Analysis would do the job?
Matt wrote: Try and aim for your STFT and LTFT to be around 0% when adjusting K constant at about 2000rpm. After this tweak your latency to get your idle right
I had to find out what the STFT and LTFT was referring to which I found in the Tuning Basics. Now in their it mentions to be on a dyno. When you referred to the 2000RPM can that be just parked? Or would I need someone to be driving the car while I mess with that?

Thanks Matt
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes you can do that parked. I did it with my 200SX the other day in the driveway :)

Overall disable O2 feedback is in the 'Feedback switch' listing for ECUs which support it. That has not changed at all. Some ECUs do not have this (like R32 Skyline) to you would change the O2 feedback temperature instead to maximum to disable the trimming

The fuel map itself has O2 feedback flags (using O key to enable/disable flags for each cell)
SrDatsun510

Post by SrDatsun510 »

So I tried to adjust the K Constant like you explained to get the right AFR. When I did it I get no readings on the FTS and FTL....... So I can not make sure its close to the 0% mark like you had explained.

Does the O2 need to be off when doing this? I did have it off.

I was able to get it to a 14.6-14.8 at the 2000 , then when I dropped it down to idle it shot my AFR up to 16. So I was able to mess with the latency to get it to go back to around 14.7. I did a test drive just to see hot it reacted and it ran super lean even under 3k RPM. Basically anytime you give it throttle its going 16+.

Man I bow down to people who knows this tuning stuff. My head is spinning right now. :roll:
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

the fuel trims are based on the O2 sensor being enabled!!

So turn it on and it will trim the mixtures once the car is in closed loop