AEM Digital LED swap

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

djstatic

AEM Digital LED swap

Post by djstatic »

Any of you Electro Savvy guys (or gals) out there know if it's possible to replace the
Red 7 segment LEDs
with a sexy Blue ones from Jaycar
Link: Jaycar Website/Price

PDF: PDF of tech specs

I'd also like to change the "needle" LEDs (but I could live without that) from Green, Amber, Red to white, Blue, Red (or maybe purple etc)

I've recently gone to all the trouble of replacing all the lights in the car to blue so this is the logical next step.
CoZZm0

Re: AEM Digital LED swap

Post by CoZZm0 »

You probably could, but you'd first need to check the supply voltage and calculate new resistor value for the segment display because the forward voltage of the Blue LED will be higher than the Red (so it will be really dim if you don't change the resistors).

Same deal for the other LEDs. If you just swap the LEDs straight out they could end up too bright or not bright enough.

I personally like RED because BLUE can be hard to see under certain lighting conditions, but that's just me.

Not to mention disassembly of the whole unit could be not easy. Most of the gauges i've ever had to take apart were not much fun (if you weren't trying to destroy).
djstatic

Post by djstatic »

Good point about the resistors.

I don't think accessing the internals is a problem. They come apart really easy..
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Well that's one hurdle for sure. I didn't realise the face came off to interchange the dials.

Resistors are likely to be SMD as well. Could be a bit of a pain. Also hopefully each LED segment will have a consistent forward voltage (cheap components often vary in segments!) otherwise some segments of each figure 8 display could be brighter than others.

bit of a gamble and you'd have to be handy with desoldering, but if you tick all those boxes, then worth a try i guess !
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Provided that you can pull it apart with no issues, I'm betting this would be dead easy.
djstatic

Post by djstatic »

I'm actually in California this week wondering if it's worth picking up a spare gauge just to check it out.