Trying to setup Uego with DLP, advice needed, vid inside

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

immy21

Trying to setup Uego with DLP, advice needed, vid inside

Post by immy21 »

Iv hooked up Aem uego white volt wire to dlp, then since my uego is permanant instal it shares a chassis ground with the dlp gnd. The lookup tables in dlpconverter-afr 1 are set as per AEM instructions. Problem is the afr's are out by about 0.5ish, AFR's are also extremely jumpy even although voltage output looks stable, the volts from multimeter match the lookup tables, but not the gauge's afr readout. I suppose I could try and make up my own lookup tables but that would be a pain and I dont want to mask an underlying problem.

Ignore the cheesy radio music. Engine is off but had been recently started. The yellow wire is for my KS4 but thats unplugged from KS4, worry about that later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvQklpfAlsg

Questions:
1. Should the AFR readout be so jumpy?
2. Will the serial output be just as jumpy? (dont want to use serial)
3. What do you suggest to get AFR in line with gauge and stable readout
4. What and why do the AUX give me a reading? Nothing is connected to the other dlp channels :?

Help please!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Trying to setup Uego with DLP, advice needed, vid inside

Post by Matt »

Other channels will be picking up noise. Would potentially affect the line you have connected

Try connecting other inputs to ground to avoid other AUXs being affected. Also shielded line from wideband to DLP may help (shield connected to ground)

As for 0.5 AFR out. Suggest plugging wideband output into second input also and using that as AUX2 voltage lookup. Check the AUX2 voltage against wideband output to confirm no voltage drop (using multimeter to measure)
immy21

Post by immy21 »

Still not having much luck with this, iv linked all the spare terminals to ground and that has sorted them out, they stay at 0v now. Iv not tried adding a lenth of shielded wire yet. When checking the voltage on a multimeter the volt is stable, through Nistune/dlp it jumps a lot and is around 0.5v too high. In the video below the uego guage is completely unplugged and removed so wire should have 0v, multimeter reads 0 when multimeter is touching the wire and ground, so does Nistune, when multimeter is removed voltage starts bouncing around again. Any explanations or advice how to sort this please?
May aswell skip the first 30secs as nothing really happens apart from me trying to balance the phone on something :?
http://youtu.be/F6L0BIdwGqE
immy21

Post by immy21 »

I uninstaled the D2XX drivers, used FTDI clean then reinstalled the VCP drivers http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
This I think has either helped or cured the eratic voltage, not done much testing though. The other problem is the AEM Uego is suppossed to pump out 2.35v when the sensor is unplugged, multimeter shows 2.42v, in Nistune it showed something like 0.15v, none of which makes any sense to me. Seems im not alone on that going by this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=889
Iv decided the most reliable way of logging will be wiring up a serial connector, I didnt want to do that as it will be one more of many cables I have hardwired into my car now. I will still keep the Uego wired into the DLP, along with the KS4 and slowly add more stuff to it then try and make it work properly.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay I'll try out the DLP tomorrow and see what I can find
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I checked this out and DLP is reporting the same voltage as my multimeter

I did note that there is a lot of fluctuation so grounding all other inputs is important
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Bump for not creating another topic. I'm having this same issue: wild fluctuating that is useless for tuning, but solid readout on the actual gauge as well as the values being out by .5 AFR. I have the latest VCP drivers and all other inputs are grounded

What bothers me is I didn't change my setup from last summer other than a new lap top (and hence, all new nistune/dlp software) and from what I remember, last summer logging AFRs worked flawlessly with little messing around.

How do I solve this?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

- Enable debug logging and restart Nistune
- Reconnect to the DLP with the UEGO or other wideband unit and record the fluctuations inside the log recorder

Can you send me both the debug log file and the log recorder file. I'll have a look and see what is going on What lookup table are you using also, can you send me that? I can check it out. Also check grounding

Nistune will read the voltage and convert to values in the lookup table. Appears stable for my AFR and boost during testing but I did previously have problems. Try connecting DLP ground to UEGO/wideband ground which should be going to chasis ground. Any fluctuations like this will cause issues

With regards to be about 0.5 volt out, if you can put the wideband input to a second AUX input in the DLP and monitor the voltage it should match the voltage output by wideband. Check this with a multimeter
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Right on thanks Matt. I will run all those tests when I go home after work.
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Well this is frustrating to say the least.

Voltages coming from that 0-5V white wire are rock solid within .00 and only fluctuate by +/- .008 or so. This should not translate to +/- 0.5 AFR. I am using the stock AEM UEGO table that comes with Nistune. I also tried another lookup table where I added a ton more entries. No difference.

There are four attached files.

-The first test shows me logging actual AFR values. The AFR readout was SOLID at 10.8 for this test.
-The second test shows me logging voltage in an aux port (3?). In this test the voltage I was recording with my multi was .46x if I recall correctly. Well the value i was recording is kinda moot; the important fact is it was solid to the hundreth.
-Debug for these tests.
-A wot pull showing a nice Aux1 (gm 2bar map sensor, not jumpy) and a poorly behaved AFR readout. The gauge showed a solid 10.0-10.5 for this test. It was not jumping all over hell like the log would have you believe.
Attachments
more boost 2_2011-07-04_2057_58.csv
WOT pull showing 2bar map on aux1
(42.54 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
DEBUG_AUX_2011-07-06_2220_41.csv
Voltage thru aux log
(40.57 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
DEBUG_AFR_2011-07-06_2219_32.csv
AFR log
(34.87 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Oops, couldn't attach the debug. Here it is. PLLLLLLLEASE give me something to go on here! It worked just fine last season!

Omg it's too big. I went as fast as i could but it still came out to 20 MB :/. Ok I RAR'd it up for you.
Attachments
nistune-0706-2218.rar
Debug file
(605.62 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Voltages coming from that 0-5V white wire are rock solid within .00 and only fluctuate by +/- .008 or so
So you are saying here that the Nistune default DLP values (mapping DLP volts to Nistune volts) match the multimeter output volts within 0.008? So the look up translation appears to be correct then?

However the stock UEGO table is messing up the AFR?

If you montior the voltages on the UEGO, what is the output voltage on open air and the UEGO displayed AFR? What is the output voltage on a very rich setting and that UEGO AFR? Perhaps use these two values to make another AFR table and try this to map voltage against your UEGO displayed output?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Will look through your logs in the morning too
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Matt wrote:
Voltages coming from that 0-5V white wire are rock solid within .00 and only fluctuate by +/- .008 or so
So you are saying here that the Nistune default DLP values (mapping DLP volts to Nistune volts) match the multimeter output volts within 0.008? So the look up translation appears to be correct then?

However the stock UEGO table is messing up the AFR?

If you montior the voltages on the UEGO, what is the output voltage on open air and the UEGO displayed AFR? What is the output voltage on a very rich setting and that UEGO AFR? Perhaps use these two values to make another AFR table and try this to map voltage against your UEGO displayed output?
No. The volts do not match once they go thru the DLP and are displayed in Nistune. The volts from the multimeter when compared using AEMs lookup or the one you have provided with Nistune does provide an accurate result however. It seems once it goes thru either the DLP or into Nistune, it gets very shakey.

The largest problem here is the smoothness or stability of what the DLP and/or Nistune is actually displaying. Who cares if it was off by .5 AFR but had a smooth readout. I can build a table to suit. But when it's all over the map jumping around it's not very effective for, well, anything.
ST240

Post by ST240 »

Matt, any new developements on this?