USB hub disconnects

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Herb-86T

USB hub disconnects

Post by Herb-86T »

I just purchased a self powered 4 port belkin hub, in the hopes to attach my usb-serial adapter for my wideband, and nistune to a single usb cable. It seems that consult will disconnect every 10-15 seconds. the time it takes to disconnect seems to always be the same. Is there a fix for this, or is the hub just not compatible? wideband never disconnects, and it works fine for other things.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Does the board work fine without the hub?

So you only have the single USB input into the laptop?

Does it disconnect with the car not running (but ignition switch on)? Or only when the car is running?

What about when the wideband isnt plugged into the hub and just the Nistune board?
Herb-86T

Post by Herb-86T »

yes, everything operates normally when not using the hub and everything is plugged directly to the laptop. I just tested it with the ignition in the on position, but not running and it does not seem to disconnect. Whether the wideband is plugged into the hub along with the usb consult cable does not make a difference, will still disconnect no matter what. Im assuming this means electrical noise then? damn this cheap hub!
Herb-86T

Post by Herb-86T »

so i tried using a few other usb cables i had to connect the ecu to the hub. I tried one that was about twice as stiff and thicker than the cable provided, and i tried one with a visible mesh shield.the clear one with visible mesh shielding seems to keep it from disocnnecting. guess ill use this one for now, and hope i dont have anymore problems. now i can use my stealthy panel mounted usb port on my center console for both nistune and wideband :)
Herb-86T

Post by Herb-86T »

nevermind, it still has problems. any tips on reducing noise/interference? i was looking at some snap on ferrite cores, think this will do anything?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

not sure... i've always run from the internal USB hubs in the laptop but i'll do some testing this week with two hubs I have here and let you know the results

I have one laptop which is pretty sensitive (earlier dell model) with single USB port so I'll use the hub on that
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

there are a few threads on the use of self powered hubs.. I use a cheap self powered 4 port hub... however it depends strongly on how many and what type of usb devices you connect with it.. it the units are self powered from the 12v of the car you are normally fine however if they are using power from the usb it can happen that the usb voltage drops so low it becomes unstable for the hub to operate.. also some laptops have a low power usb.. some Ipods hate this for that reason they are loading the usb so much the comms becomes unstable...

so my advice get a powered one or try another hub... although it could be your laptop usb port not having the grunt or the latop to hub cable and make sure the laptop is connected to the correct port f the hub so it is the one powering it as not all ports power the hub..