Disconnects every 4-5 mins

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

sr20det510

Disconnects every 4-5 mins

Post by sr20det510 »

Hey Guys,
Im having some issues with disconnections.
Its driving my tuner nuts!!
Every 4-5 mins or so it will disconect and i need to hit the consult buton to reconnect.
Usually its successful but sometimes i have to shut the whole thing down and start over, not really handy when your tring to tune the car.

Its an S13 SR20DET version 4.
could it possibly be that the US port speed needs to be configured to some kind of spec that i dont know about..

Cheers
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

theres a few other topics like that in this area... basically you need to check your electrics in the vehicle

- clean and secure ground wires from battery to chasis, engine etc
- check all ignition system wiring

basically too much noise from igntion system will get into consult wiring and start causing problems. once you eliminate the electrical noise generated you will have a happier consult connection

also read the posts in this section regarding this
sr20det510

Post by sr20det510 »

Thanks Matt,

I thought id done a pretty good job of grounding the system, its an engine transplant (S13 into Datto 1600) I enshured that the ignition system was well grounded onto the intake manifold, theres another earth on the splitfire coilpacks, one from the motor to the Chasis and another in the boot where the battery is.

Grounding to alloy... Is this enough?

I was considering extending the ignition ground to the firewall as i wasnt sure how good a conductor alloy was compared to Steel or even if it was enough to make a difference?

Ill do a search for the other threads.

1 more question if the CAS is installed incorectly and i have a solid base map will it alter the values in the ignition map?

Ive got a PLMS map in my S13 SR ECU but some of the first figures in the ignition table are up around the 30+ mark?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

check with Pete also about grounding points as he is quite famiilar with those setups

if the CAS is installed incorrectly base timing will be out and what is reported on the screen is only what the ECU is trying to target when base timing is correct

check with a timing light your base timing is stock when engine warm
sr20det510

Post by sr20det510 »

Thanks Matt, just back from the shop, unfortunatly im getting the disconections even with the engine off.
Ive gone overkill on the earthing, the ignition ststem earths into the alloy manifold from the factory, Ive earthed it to Chasis for good measure.

Ive confirmed that the ECU tray is Well earthed however i was reading in another post that the USB needs to be Grounded??

How do i do this assuming its still a factor ( as the disconnect occurs whilst engin is off and on )

I think i can rule USB ignition interference out of the equasion.

Whats the next possibility?

Yeah we used a timing light to establish timing, we disconnected the TPS to do it although it was still jumping around quite a bit?

Feel like im chasing my tail here.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I would email pete and see if he has any ideas since he designed the PLMS consult cables... nistune just reports when it detects the error on the consult interface. Perhaps theres something dodgy with the particular cable (loose solder joint etc) which may be cuasing it instead

Because now I'm thinking that its very odd that you are getting disconnects with the engine off! Can you please enable debug logging (File-Configuration-Debug logging) and then restart Nistune and send me the resulting log file after disconencts?

After doing that, please change from Tuner Mode to Streaming Mode and let me know how the needles look. It wont disconnect in streaming mode (and will act like NissanDatascanDataScan etc) and will show your guages

Do those appear to flicker random values etc? Thats usually also an indication of a bad consult connection due to noise. But if it totally stops still then that indicates perhaps bad consult cable
sr20det510

Post by sr20det510 »

Deleted post ( double up!! ) sorry
Last edited by sr20det510 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sr20det510

Post by sr20det510 »

OK Matt ill give that a go next time i get the time to get back to the workshop.
once ive enabled the logging files and got a disconnect, where do i look for the file so that i can send it to you?

Cheers

Paul

PS the Laptop is a 5 month old DELL just in case that may play a part?
Could it have anything to do with needing to config the port seed rates of the USB port used?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

so it should all work 'as is'

c:\program files\nistune\logs

is where it puts the log files