consult keeps disconnecting....

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

now i dont have a stereo in the car for reasons that with the cdi and non r type sparkplugs i knew i would always have a problem with noise.

surely there have been other track cars that have experienced the same noise issues?

if i had a serial connection instead of usb would i still have issues?

whats the brand of usb lead to use that is shielded?

i have no idea where the best earth point is on the laptop. i tried the external monitor socket, the power socket, even the frame of the cd drive. all with the same results. ill load nistune onto another laptop next.

i will go over all the joints as you suggested?

will fitting capacitors at the ecu supply help?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

the ECU already has capacitors in it for filtering noise, but you will find it goes straight through into the USB cable

if you are using a Type 2 board, you can try a serial cable but the noise might also be in the consult lines affecting those too

is there anything you can do to filter from the ignition module side of things?

if you were to use an oscillosope and see how much noise an engine makes, you will clearly see why it is struggling to get clean digital electrical signals from the ECU to the USB in high noise situations
brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

have just been playing with my ecu in a mates VL.

Also a turbo but with a stock std ignition system (read no CDI)

With this vehicle, my laptop stays connected pretty much as long as he doesnt come under full load conditions.
As soon as this happens, the connection is lost.

I have a screen shot, showing tp near maxed out at 39000, and afm only at 3.5 volts.
Also attached is a typical log of the event. this actually shows the maf at 6v and tp only 36000.

both show when the connection was terminated. maybe the log manages to run longer than the consult display??

So why does it drop out only at full load??
i have repeated logs all showing the same thing, load was bought on at higher rpms, connection dropped once maf maxed out.
Attachments
NIStune_2009-03-07_1518_29.csv
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
bens screen dump.doc
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

at full load is then there is incredible noise that may causes the usb connection to hang up on the PC side of things

i've loaded up my RB30ET in R31 however and no disconnect with VLT ECU. same board and ECU. its just how sound the electrical system is in regards to noise