DLPtest.exe and FT2XX.dll location.

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Marty

DLPtest.exe and FT2XX.dll location.

Post by Marty »

Hi, new to the forum so please go easy on me if I'm missing the obvious. I'm working my way through the support notes for type 1 board install and consult issues and can't find the files suggested to test communication outside of the Nistune package.

In case I'm barking up the wrong tree I'll try to describe the issue and the way it started.
1) 1988 CA18ET engine, ECU Code 23710-33F11, Nistune Base Board ROM 33F01
2) Install carried out by authorised outlet / dealer here in the u.k
3) Originally I could connect o.k. and was able to save an image of the ROM file in the ECU (Backup)
4) few issues with the tune meant a trip to a more local rolling road for adjustment
5) Every time I booked the car in and got to the tuners the Consult connection would fail even though it was fine at home.
( I came to the conclusion after reading the forum that the Ciggy lighter / laptop psu adapter I bought specially for the tuner was the cause)
6) Now even when I use the laptop with battery only the consult will not connect at all
7) Car starts and runs fine (with a few tuning issues) and I've worked through the suggestions in the guide until the DLPtest page
Have tried two different laptops WinXP Pro SP3 and Windows 7. I'm a bit confused about the "limp home mode", the ECU is flashing a sequence and the fuel pump is on all the time the ignition is on but am I right in thinking the consult port on the newer cars doesn't work under "limp mode" conditions and my USB connection the the ECU should still be fine? Nistune board is listed in device manager on both Laptops and Drivers installed o.k.
Not always the same fault message but "checksum invalid, check ECU image not corrupt, check address file" or "No data received, check board, CPU, image file" etc
Ferrite cores arrived today and shorter USB cable so I'll try them on my next day off but I'd welcome any guidance or advice? Or even better a slap with a fish and an easy solution would be great!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: DLPtest.exe and FT2XX.dll location.

Post by Matt »

You will notice the Type 1 diagnostic document was written back in 2006. This was when the first Type 1 boards (used with Emulators) were made and there were sometimes issues with talking to the board

Diagnostics using DLP test was documented (sending an ECU ID command and waiting for a response) for testing the file in the emulator was loaded correctly

DLP test is here:
http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/usb245r.shtml

The FT2XX.DLL file is installed as part of Nistune so you dont need to worry about that part

So communications is funny/non-existant?

Check to make sure comms is okay with the engine not running. Also the fuel pump should prime about 3-5 seconds after key on and then stop. If it doesnt then either the image in the board is corrupted (needs reflash) or the ECU install has an issue between EPROM socket and RAM chip next to it

If it only gets random error messages (due to communications being affected by engine noise) when the vehicle is running then try the ferrite bead, check alterator signal output with a scope, use an AM radio to try and find noise which is causing the distruption to comms

Different latptops are affected differently by noise over the USB line. Some more tolerant than others. May be why the tuner could not connect
Marty

Post by Marty »

Communication at the moment is none existent, yes, even when the car isn't running. The fuel pump stays on all the time the ignition is on so is a re-flash something that can be done even though no comms can be established? The install looks o.k. and has been running for a few months so the corruption option would seem most likely? I must admit though that I'm not sure that the fuel pump hasn't ran continuously since the install. The car has been overfuelling since I got it back from the installers (hence the requirement for re-tune. As a temporary measure the fuel pressure has been reduced by 1bar to keep the ratio correct but the comms worked initially. It is only since I used a ciggy powered laptop charger that comms has gone. Regards, Marty.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Reflash needs to be done with a base image programmer. You can post the board to me to check out if you wish. Just shoot through an email
Marty

Post by Marty »

I have a spare ECU, so I could have a socket put in that and swap over my Nistune board as a relatively quick way of getting back on the road? But at the moment I'm not sure if it's an install problem or a programming issue? I've run the DLPtest program and it connects to the Nistune board o.k. I've attached a screenshot of the data which doesn't tell me much so I'm hoping you can advise on the next step? Regards, Marty.
Attachments
Capture7.JPG
(240.74 KiB) Downloaded 3897 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

ECU is stuck in a loop. After querying the version CA 06 00 00 00 it should respond with a version number, but now its just spewing out data

Yeah if you have another ECU you can move the board over and retest. Also keep the chip which you remove and test both ECUs to make sure fuel pump goes off. It should only prime for a few seconds after key on so I think that issue which is related to this problem
Marty

Post by Marty »

O.K. Matt, thanks for the help, I've done as suggested and tested the car with an original ECU and the fuel pump ran constantly. I looked into why and found that I've made a mistake when fitting the uprated fuel pump ( I crossed the negative controlled by the ECU and the negative ground / chassis earth). I rectified this and tested both original and Nistune ECU's, both now switch off the fuel pump after 5s (and, more importantly, after a stall). I've tried consult connection again with no improvement, i.e. unable to connect so I've run the DLPtest program. The screenshot is typical of what the program displays upon startup (without any send instruction) and each time it is started a different code is displayed. It seems to me that using the 12v power supply for the laptop has caused the issue since all was working o.k. up until this point? What do you think? (I've again looked at all connections on the install with a magnifier and all looks good). I think using the 12v PSU has somehow corrupted the base image? Regards, Marty.
Attachments
Capture8.JPG
(273.16 KiB) Downloaded 3877 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It definitely appears the board is corrupted.

The board has EEPROM (like FLASH memory) and RAM in a single chip. If during tuning the RAM was corrupted for some reason, and then you did a burn (to EEPROM) then the corruption becomes permanent

Reprogramming the board with a base image programmer is the only option at this stage. Please shoot me an email to organise this