Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Peace

Type 2 board disconnects when engine start

Post by Peace »

Hello.
I'm having strange issue.
I'm preparing fresh Z32 ECU for ECR33.
Installed a Type 2 board into Z32 ECU. Everything fine untill i start the engine. After that ECU communication error. And cannot connect back.

The problem is inside ECU thought. Because after connecting my Z32 ecu done by me for my ECR33 everything ok. I can connect while engne off and on.

What should i check inside ECU?

Ecu is not in limp mode Cause when engine is off everything works good.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

There is not much you can probably check inside the ECU

If you are able to connect okay when its just sitting there with no engine running, but then when the engine is running it refuses to connect at all I would first suspect engine noise issues affecting communications or corrupting NVRAM on the board

With regards to communications issues if you run the ECR33 ECU in both tuner mode and then stream mode, are there any problems whilst the engine is running? Do the needles flicker in stream mode?

Now if you are connected in stream mode with the Z32 ECU and then start then engine, does this stop? You cannot reconnect?

Does the Z32 ECU start flashing the ECU LED at this time (indicating limp)?

I would think worst case the board RAM is getting corrupted on startup and stops things working due to limp mode

How are your electrical grounds etc from battery to engine and chasis?
Peace

Post by Peace »

The main thing why i thinck its ok with my grounding is that when i connect my Z32ECU wich is already in original place inside my ECR33 everyting fine.

When i connect fresh one it works only on engine off. The difference is only in ECU itself and the grouinding. My ECU is in original location, grounded to body with mounting brackets and the fresh one is not.

I have not tried ECR33 ECU thought.

After swap of engine i have not put additional grouding to the engine yet. I will do and check again fresh ECU. Bu as far as my ECU works fine and fresh one not i still thinking its not noise problem.

Thought i got some "check nvram hardware" or smth like this on my ecu when i was changing K-const.

I will ground the engine again and update.