Nistune disconnects, Ecutalk doesn't?

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Terminar

Nistune disconnects, Ecutalk doesn't?

Post by Terminar »

Hi,

i was trying to use the nistune software due to some problems with my car, i wanted to do some data logging (the nistune board isn't soldered yet, i first wanted to fix my problems).

When the car is running, there are really fast nistune disconnects within 10-20 seconds.

I read in the forum and in the installation documentation since yesterday that this problem seems to be a grounding problem, but i have only problems with the nistune software currently?

I used ecutalk to do my logging the last days, no disconnects, no drops and so on. Does that only mean that nistune is just more "secure" and does more error checking?

Bye
Terminar
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

normal consult programs 'stream' the data one way and there is no method of error checking available generally

Nistune provides this in 'stream mode' by clicking on the 'tuner mode' button you may experience then similar stability of the connection

However at the same time you may notice the occaisonal flickering guage or otherwise indicative of a data problem, but wont disconnect you

Data integrity during reading/writing maps is vital to Nistune. Bad data on the lines could put bad values in your maps.

We perform checking of read/write data to ensure there is integrity. Checksum errors are a result of bad data being detected.

Hence the problem must be fixed with the vehicle. Check the installation and diagnostics manual for the procedure. Basically grounding points etc is the starting place. Let us know how you go after checking through the items in this doc
Terminar

Post by Terminar »

Ah, ok!

Thanks for the explanation, i didn't know the difference of the streaming mode. I'll try to check my grounding within the next days first and give feedback if it worked.

Bye
Terminar
Terminar

[SOLVED] Re: Nistune disconnects, Ecutalk doesn't?

Post by Terminar »

Hey Matt,

today i did wire-cutting on my wire loom directly on the ecu connector and soldered a new consult connector directly to my ecu connector (cutting RX, TX and CLK from the original CONSULT connector), maybe 5cm distance...

I took GND from the screw below the ecu and 12V directly from my battery (or is there a stablilized 12V output from the ecu?).

I couldn't measure which wire was connected to the original 12V pin on the consult connector previously because it seemed that the 12V signal was wrong wired, i only got GND instead of 12V. Maybe i had a short somewhere...

Soldered everything together, fired up nistune, got connection and - due the 5 minutes i tried, no connection loss!

I checked the ground everywhere previously last year, so i think that there is/was a problem with my wire loom somewhere... It seems to work now :)

Just wanted to inform you.

Bye
Björn
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Nistune disconnects, Ecutalk doesn't?

Post by Matt »

thanks for letting me know. yes wire length can make a difference (interference of signals)