type 1 Consult disconnects ***FIXED***

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

bachig24u

type 1 Consult disconnects ***FIXED***

Post by bachig24u »

Hi all,
Thought I'd share this one as it drove me crazy for an Hour.

Symptom: Consult disconnects randomly seemed more frequent in medium traffic condition.

Error condition: consult changes from "red" connected to ECU state to a non connected state, any logging also stops. sometimes "Not receiving data from ECU" error is displayed if consult has dropped for extended periods.

Cause: Customer hooked up an auxillary 15"" thermo to brake switch for cooling intercooler during stop conditions for pits at WSID.

Possible Solutions: 1. Disconect aux fan,. upgrade battery, change alternator pulley to spin it faster. I just removed the fuse for the aux fan.

Everytime i hit the brakes the ECU voltage momentarily dropped below an unknown threshold and Nistune seems to be very sensitive to this condition. I noticed that 13.8 was the lowest voltage recorded in Nistune.

Maybe we could see a fix for the comms timeout increased in the later additions. I would also beg for an improvement to the logging, It mustn't stop after a car stalls. It needs to continue logging after car restarts automatically. the logging improvment would only be a benefit if Nistune Consult didn't disconnect from a short period of no comms or voltage drop.
Sime
http://www.jps.net.au
tuners@jps.net.au
Calibration Engineer
JPS Motorsports & Electronics
brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

i have just installed a new alternator (90amp from skyline compared to 70a from vl).

idle voltage is now 15.1. seems a bit high, but is steady. revving engine does not effect voltage.

before hand, voltage was at the bottom of the scale at idle and would rise when revved.

hopefully this fixes my disconnects and i will report back here. (i am time poor, but should be one night this week)
brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

so far so good.

my irregular cutout issue hasn't raised its head since replacing the alternator, so i would suggest others look at this if their vehicles start doing weird things.

my laptop is out of action so i cant check the consult, but fingers crossed.
bachig24u

Re: type 1 Consult disconnects ***FIXED***

Post by bachig24u »

Another Type 1 USB disconnect issue fixed;
Check distributor cap, HT leads and low voltage wiring.

the trusty VL runs the dizzy sensor wiring in close proximity to the Coil HT lead.
an easy reroute of the low voltage wiring closer to the block and a new dizzy cap solved this one.
brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

i got a new laptop.

i can now stay connected for about 30 seconds, then it drops out. tuner or stream mode.

not sure what else to do..

at least the random cutout under full load is gone now thank christ.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

so worked fine on old laptop (except occasional drop out high rpms) but newer one is a lot worse

try a shorter USB cable and ferrite around the cable also since the newer laptop seems more sensitive
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1402&start=15
brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

its better than the last laptop. the old one would only stay connected for 1 or 2 seconds even at idle.
i can now sit at idle, or rev engine, and it takes a lot longer to drop out. maybe 30-40 seconds.

the ecu would cut out randomly under full load around 3K rpm.

moved cdi. cahnged alternator. more earthing. no more ecu cutouts! yey!
i wasnt able to check old laptop at this stage as it wouldnt recognise nistune connection.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

either Consult Disconnects
or Fatal Disconnects can be caused from using an Automotive (power socket) laptop charger when connected to Nistune board.

Most likely cause is ground offset voltage.

If Laptop requires charging, recommended to use same supply voltage and earth from ECU or not charging laptop during uploading/downloading/logging data.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Note: I've updated the Diagnostics and Communications documents with all the above suggestions (amongst others)