USB to serial port converter?

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

RobH

USB to serial port converter?

Post by RobH »

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I've finally broken my old W2K laptop's one and only USB port and have had to switch to my year old Vista laptop. This laptop has no serial port so I've had to resort to a USB/Serial converter for wideband connectivity. The driver simply doesn't want to install.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Cheers

H
RobH

Post by RobH »

ok, quick update, this USB/Serial converter is garbage, it came from Maplins so I'd expect it to be ok. As it stands there is no Vista driver provided on the installation disk although it says Vista compatible on the box. I've tried to find a suitable driver online but none of them seem to work for me. Bah!

H
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

can you post the INF file inside the driver to this forum. can find the chipset for it...
RobH

Post by RobH »

Further update, finally got it working with a driver downloaded from Maplin's website - what a pain!

Anyway, if any mods would like to delete this thread now it's resolved please do, I doubt it will be any use to anyone else...

Cheers

H

Just seen your reply Matt, do you still want me to send?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

normally the driver has an INF file. you can see the details of the driver in here... however dont worry about it now if you've found it