RB26 Oil Pressure Lower Above Idle

Post here where your issue is not tuning specific but more of a sensor or mechanical issue
CHIEFAPONTE

RB26 Oil Pressure Lower Above Idle

Post by CHIEFAPONTE »

I have an R32 GTR. a few weeks ago I noticed my oil pressure(on aftermarket gage) was only 45 psi on cold day start(about 45 degrees F), normally my oil pressure would shoot up to around 70-80 psi on cold day and eventually would work its way down as the car warmed up.

Now I get about 42 psi on a cold start. Once the car warms up, idle pressure is good (around 20 psi) but above idle 2000-4000 rpm I only gets to 35 psi.

After I noticed this, I changed my oil to mobil 1 full synth., but did not change my oil filter(laziness)

Could my oil filter be causing this? I understand the flapper valve in the filter can cause low pressure issues.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
eddyk-fab

Re: RB26 Oil Pressure Lower Above Idle

Post by eddyk-fab »

hello pal... before doing anything or waiting around .. why dont you change or oil filter and not be soo lazy ... oil is one of the most critical aspects of an engines life... and above all, your running an engine that is prone to oil issues ( rb / ca / vg .. )

i suggest first things first you do, is warm up the engine... run a 15 minute engine flush, if u dnt mind paying some cash, get a descent liqui moly engine flush for around 30/40 $ .. if not , get the 5 $ cans.. fun the engine for about 15 / 20 minutes, get that mobile 1 oil out and throw it away,. replace ur oil filter with OEM genuin oil filter, and dont mess with these .. and put some brand new 10w60 liqui moly race tech gt1... or redline 10w60.. or royal purple 10w60... make sure u have the hole system flushed BEFORE not AFTER u change the oil... then inspect ur oil pressure ..

if problem persisted ... buy a 5 $ oil pressure sensor , swap sensors to make sure ur not running a faulty sensor thats beginning to fail... if oil pressure remains low...you need to rebuild or buy a brand new genuin oil pump

cheers mate .. no offense bro, just dont be lazy on such a critical engine..!
CHIEFAPONTE

Re: RB26 Oil Pressure Lower Above Idle

Post by CHIEFAPONTE »

Thanks for the reply. I will replace the filter and the oil at the earliest opportunity. Unfortunately I am a naval officer stationed in Japan and currently deployed.

Thanks anyway. i fear that it may be the pump, but obviously want to eliminate any other possible issues.