primera turbo conversion - in three days :)

If you know what B.S. stands for you know what goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Fusion Ed

primera turbo conversion - in three days :)

Post by Fusion Ed »

I did this on a friends Primera P11 GT, over the last weekend just gone.

Basically it went like this ~(clearly very simplified!)~: Friday fit new clutch.
Saturday start turbo conversion, cut bumper fit intercooler, and fit cold pipework for intercooler to intake manifold.
Sunday fit hot side to intercooler, fab up the exhaust downpipe and front section, fit oil feed lines.
Monday fit turbo, fit exhaust, fit bumper, fab oil return line, turn on check everything and then map (nistune) ecu.
Still needs some tweaking, but its really good fun to drive. It also put the new workshop to test, which with this recent weather would have otherwise made the job a horrid experience. Hopefully will get it on the dyno within the next week.

GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

Nothing like breaking in the new shop eh, a good way to find out what tools you need to add to your list :) Can never have enough tools!

I bet that clutch was fun :), Ive never worked on a P11, but I know P10 USDM Infiniti G20 is packed tight, done a couple jdm engine swaps on those and they are a mofo.
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Ed,

Excellent work! You're a man after my own heart. I'll be interested to see how it responds to some boost. I did an S13 SR20DE+T a little while ago and it produced outstanding results.

Are you running it with the std P11 ECU?

'later
Pete L
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Its running 10 psi~0.7bar with a RNN14 ecu. Its surprisingly rapid, hope to get it dynoed in the next few weeks.. Still need to do a bit more tuning. I estimate somewhere between 220-240bhp.

As for the P11 ecu, I have a multi fitment daughter board. I may try this in the stock ecu to see if it works as it has the same type of pin header.

All good though! I want to do one to a N15 now possibly to keep as transport of my own since its really quite a simple and shockingly effective upgrade!
PL

Post by PL »

I agree. It's an extremely effective upgrade. All you really need (I'm talking RWD cars here - but same deal) is the turbo, exhaust manifold and injectors off an SR20 turbo. Bolt 'em up, deal with a bit of plumbing, re-tune ECU and smile for months!

The thing is, here in Oz anyway, all the DET people are upgrading turbos, injectors and manifolds so all the gear you need for a DE+T upgrade is readily available at dirt cheap prices.

What I couldn't believe is just how well they perform. I tuned one for a conservative 11psi and it went great. What amazed me was how they rev! Most S13 DET's drop off quickly after 6500 (even with bigger turbo and cams) but this thing pulled hard up top. So much so that I kept hitting the 7500 limiter with each dyno run (NEVER had that problem with a DET). I moved it to 8000 - and left it there.

Some details here:

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/customers/shannon.htm

PL
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

I am inclined to agree. I have yet to push the car that hard, bit it definitely has not its N/A eagerness at all. It still has the instant get up and go just a whole lot more! I drove the car for a day and didn't want to give it back! The funny thing is the car still has its pea-shooter stock exhaust from the cat back. Its not great, but it does mean the car is entirely OEM from behind, which hides its credentials even more!