NIStune/ECCS for ae86 corolla.

If you know what B.S. stands for you know what goes here.

Moderator: Matt

GZ@hybridka

NIStune/ECCS for ae86 corolla.

Post by GZ@hybridka »

Hey everyone,

I just picked up another ae86 corolla and I have a 4AG just about ready to go.

On my main ae86 I have megasquirt controlling the factory toyota ignition system but I am not satisfied with the platform. The only reason I am running it in that is because it is better than the original 1985/86 toyota system and I had a megasquirt laying around from my old S13 install.

Anyways, this new corolla is going to be flossin ECCS instead!

I am going to building a custom distributor/CAS, unless I can pick up a cheap used reytec 4AG distributor (uses SR20 CAS I think).

This is just a teaser, I havent even pulled this corolla to my place yet but Ill keep you guys updated.
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

We've just got a Nissan Z18ET running on CA18 ECCS gear in the last week or so!
It runs pretty smooth on stock CA18 maps, but were gonna stick NIStune into it in the next couple of weeks 8)
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Gabe,

Any progress on re-braining the 4AG?

I've often wondered about doing the same to the Mazda B6 DOHC engine I've put in my Mazda 121. I've manually advanced the timing as far as I can (right on the edge of detonation at 1500 - 2000) but I just know there's hp to be had up top if I could add more timing.

The OEM ECU on these isn't a hacker friendly unit so I've been tossing around the idea of grafting a Nissan system onto it. I've got a complete system from S13 SR20DE here so that'd be the base. From what I can see it'd "just" be a matter of adapting the Nissan CAS, TPS and coolant temp sensor. Then plumb up the Nissan AFM and roar off (I mean "drive carefully" - he he he) to the dyno.

I've only just discovered the "BS" section. Looks like this is where the fun is! :)

PL
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

Hey PL, I havent yet made much progress on that project yet.

I still need to buy a sr20de or sr20det distributor/CAS as that seems to be the best fit. These units are overpriced, and the rwd sr20de distributors which might be cheaper are hard to find in the US.

I also need to machine an adapter, here is what the reytec version looks like (pictured above ecu, which is a reconfigured ECCS unit w/emulator).

I am not sure on the vintage of your mazda engine, but it looks like the nissan ECCS could be adapted very easily.

Is it possible to fit a miata distributor to this engine (or is this miata engine?).

I found a picture of a miata distributor/CAS, which is similar to other mazda/mitsubishis, and nissans. An ECCS sr20de optical disk could be swapped quite easily (directly).

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/Fuel-elec.html

The signals and positioning of the CAS is the only difficult part to applying ECCS to another engine. The TPS and coolant, as well as all other sensors are easy to adapt, you do not need to use the nissan sensors necessarily. For items that might be difficult to fit (tps), you could adapt the mazda part to the nissan system easily, if it doesnt already plug in and work as is....

There are also lots of other alternate japanese car parts that may provide an even smoother interchange. I would imagine this could potentially be an almost plug and play conversion...
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

Haha, I just searched and found what a Mazda 121 is, not exactly what I was thinking...

We have one of those sitting in the pen at the shop, reminds of the March SuperTurbo.

Anyways, I was thinking it was a rwd layout. What you would need to do is find a distributor/CAS that is the mitsubishi optical type. Im sure if it doesnt have one already there is one available that will fit the engine.
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Gabe,

Yeah, we're not talking performance cars here. I originally bought the 121 as a get-to-work hack. But the wee beasty has grown on me over the years. Particularly after the engine transplant. It's from the same family of engines as the early Miata.

I even put together some words. Which I was gonna send to a local magazine that does a lot of stuff on engine conversions. Never got around to it of course. So I uploaded it to my website.

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/rodney.shtml

I reckon I've got a Miata (MX-5 here) CAS somewhere. I must have a poke around in my Mazda box!

PL
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

Yeah I know how those little cars can grow on you, the 121 (which I think is a ford festiva over here) has some good body lines.

Ive been keeping an eye out for an AWD subaru justy myself (if I cant find a cheap impreza first). My daily is the corolla ae86 hatch which I drive year round even in the heavy Idaho snowfall. Good snow tires can do wonders, but once im dragging the belly of the car there is no hope :P

I remember seeing this mazda B6 dohc swap into a ford festiva featured in sport compact car magazine a few years back. A sleeper for sure.