Greetings from a newb in Michigan, USofA

If you know what B.S. stands for you know what goes here.

Moderator: Matt

dexter

Greetings from a newb in Michigan, USofA

Post by dexter »

There's no place for introductory posts, so I figured since no one should really care about me, it belonged here. I've been eyeing Nistune for years because I love the idea of tunable factory ECUs. I've got an automotive history steeped in DSMs and 4G63s, so DSMlink (now ECMlink) was always the only option I considered. When I started shifting to Nissan, Nistune became the new default.

Now I've finally got a car put together that needs more than the factory ECU can give. Without getting into too many of the details, I put together a USDM 95 S14 with a kouki S14 SR20DET controlled by a zenki S14 ECU. I did all the wiring myself and the car was on the road in September 2013.

I did some upgrades over the winter and put a lot of miles on it in 2014. When I realized how quickly the factory injectors and MAF stopped cooperating when the boost got turned up, I knew it was finally time to get on the Nistune bandwagon.

This past winter, I sent my ECU to Andy at AutoVaughn Performance and when it returned it had Nistune installed with the latest feature pack. Before the car came out to play, it had Subaru yellow-top injectors, an afpr, and an N-62 MAF (amongst other additions) all running with the newly modified ECU. Now the bottleneck is the stock T28 turbo and I'm mostly content.

I have not had much time to tinker with the software and my ECU except for resizing the injectors and changing the MAF. That alone has made the car very streetable with the only nuisance being richness at idle, but that may be due to mechanical tuning issues that I've had all along and never addressed. The car runs good enough that I haven't carved enough time out of my schedule to do a thorough tune up.

Anyway, I'm here to learn from the experienced and hopefully be able to help others along the way as my own expertise is honed. If you're interested in the build thread, it's over on Nicoclub. I haven't updated it in quite a while though. http://forums.nicoclub.com/topic577624. ... 52586475ac

In closing, I want to say thanks to Matt for all the hard work and inumerable hours dedicated to this. I don't know how you do it. I'm not even sure why you do it, but I'm certain I'm not the only one that is extremely grateful for your tremendous contributions to the Nissan performance community.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from a newb in Michigan, USofA

Post by Matt »

Hey Dexter thanks for the feedback!

I love doing the development for these ecus (that is my specialty) but as I've found it comes with the problems and support required also. The Nissan ECUs have been a great base to tune with and its amazing how far its come.

Good to see how you went with the build. We managed to squeeze 225rwkw (300rwkp)out of the T28 using E85 on my S14 but that's as far as we can push that one