LC1 Error Code 8 (8 LED flashes)

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

CoZZm0

LC1 Error Code 8 (8 LED flashes)

Post by CoZZm0 »

I just thought i'd add this here as recently (and increasingly) i've had issues where my LC1 will randomly throw an error and stop supplying NB SIM output to the ECU, causing the car to run nothing short of undriveably bad until the wire for the narrowband simulation is disconnected from the ECU.

I stumbled across a thread where others had pinpointed the conditions and when i thought about it, it all started to make sense.

Giving the car a lot of load or a big rev making EGT's spike then following with a long period of trailing throttle would usually cause the issue (i.e giving a hit through 1st and 2nd and then straight into 6th and cruise). Also trailing throttle for extended periods of time (such as down a very long hill on the freeway) would also sometimes cause the issue.

The issue is due to the sensor heating routine seeing the temperature rise, but not antisipating the temperature fall so quickly and it doesn't enable the heater which causes the sensor to give a slow response and flag the error, which the LC1 won't recover from without a power cycle.

The "fix" is as follows:

Revert to Firmware 1.00 (devices in recent times usually shipped with 1.10 or 1.10a).
Install Beta Firmware 1.20RC4 (ask me as it wont allow me to attach a DLD extension file).

I'll be installing this firmware this weekend when i have time to also recalibrate the sensor (as its due for it) but all reports are that the 1.20RC4 (*BETA*) fixes the issue.

Reverting to 1.00 has seen some increased heting times and slower (or as reported) smoother AFR response where the value doesn't jump around as much.

I'll update this thread on the weekend when i've installed the firmware. I just don't want to do it now incase it forces a recalibration of the sensor.

I have also been warned that you MUST have a stable and reliable connection with the LC1 through the Innovate LM Programmer software before attempting a firmware update.
CoZZm0

Re: LC1 Error Code 8 (8 LED flashes)

Post by CoZZm0 »

OK i did the update today. No recalibration is required (although i'll probably done one soon, just means i don't have to get under the car straight away).

So far so good, one location that usually always trips it today was fine. Hopefully it will stay 100% over the coming week. If it doesn't happen at all in the next 7 days i'm going to consider the firmware update a definite cure for the issue.

Initial thoughts seemed that the display (DB Gauge) doesn't jump around quite as much, whether its applying a bit of smoothing or whatever, i'm not sure.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Very good info...where did you get the beta firmware, as I have the same issues I flog the car and kill the WB...my fix has been to disable stock o2 completely but I still lose WB reading when the sensor shuts down...I've just dealt with it for now but if this works that will be awesome.
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Preston wrote:Very good info...where did you get the beta firmware, as I have the same issues I flog the car and kill the WB...my fix has been to disable stock o2 completely but I still lose WB reading when the sensor shuts down...I've just dealt with it for now but if this works that will be awesome.
I found it while searching forums randomly (due to the error becomming more frequent and annoying...) and saw a guy from Innovate offering it up. Its very new and is planned to be released to public soon.

Attached is the DLD file (in a RAR archive as the forum won't allow DLD file uploads).

I've done ~1000km on it now without a single error in situations where it would have definintely given me an error. The gauge readout is also a lot more stable, especially at idle where it used to jump around a lot, its now quite steady.
Attachments
lc1b120rc4.rar
(10.97 KiB) Downloaded 1543 times
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

thanks for the file cozzmo will be updating my lc1 this weekend 8)
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Fordy wrote:thanks for the file cozzmo will be updating my lc1 this weekend 8)
Can you post up your results (positive or negative) as i'd like to pass on any feedback (especially if negative) to the innovate guy i've been in contact with that supplied the firmware.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

works great fella, haven't had a fault yet and its less flicky now aswell :mrgreen:
airman

Post by airman »

Where can firmware version v1.00 be found? The only one on their site is v1.10. Very eager to try this!
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

V1.00 attached to this post.
Attachments
LC1-V100A.rar
LC1 v1.00 firmware
(11.16 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times
gtsaurus

Post by gtsaurus »

I had the same issue with one of my LC1 controllers [twin setup on rb26 with nb sim connected to ecu x2]
A word of warning. I bricked the LC1 because I allowed the car battery voltage to drop too low during the firmware update.
After this there were no led codes at all and no response from the mts software it could not connect.
I was able to download the firmware with an arduino leostick via the spi interface which involved many hours to get working and requires opening of the LC1 case.
Always update the firmware of the LC1 with the engine running to maintain battery voltage or power the LC1 externally with a power supply capable of maintaining full voltage.