How long has your LC-1 sensor lasted?

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

CoZZm0

How long has your LC-1 sensor lasted?

Post by CoZZm0 »

Hi all,

Been having a few problems with my LC-1 sensor of late. Every now and again it will 'stop working' flashing 7.4 on the gauge like during warmup, diag led flashes 8 flahes which tells me there's a problem with the sensor or its connection and should be checked/replaed. That's all well and good, connections are solid and out of the way of splashes of water, the sensor is isntalled at the 12 o'clock position in the exhaust before the cat.

Sensor has been used daily for around 15-20,000k's and calibrated 3 times during that time (each time i removed it from the exhaust to change something i would recalibrate it in fresh air).

As i'm using it for narroband simulation to the ECU, when it goes haywire i suffer major drivability issues without proper sensor feedback. The quickest solution is power cycle it, and it usually comes good for a few days.

Is this normal / expected sensor lifespan before they are due for repalcement? I expected a bit more out of it.

I dont run funny fuel, just pump 98 ron.
PL

Re: How long has your LC-1 sensor lasted?

Post by PL »

I don't run mine as permanent install and so far it's been fine. But I know that wideband sensors do seem to be a bit patchy reliability wise.

The wideband on the dyno that I use went haywire last time I used it. Turns out it was the sensor - and they'd only replaced it the same week.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Those are bosch sensors so wouldnt be an innovate specific issue. I've run mine for a year now and still working okay. It was my LC-1 which died on the bench last time that I had issues with
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, definitely not an Innovate specific issue. The dyno runs an Autronic or MoTeC wideband and they have to replace the sensors relatively aften.

PL
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

I hadn't planned on using it all the time, but swapping headers to the cat this set only has 1 bung on it so i had no option as such. I'll probably replace the sensor and look at getting another bung installed.

Thanks.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

They last upto **80,000+kms** in ideal conditions. (ask Audi, or VW Mechanics)

When they are subjected to, coolant, silicone, excessive fuel, back fire, grit, rust and vibration.
They may only last one run at times.

Innovate LC-1 unit's generally last a few years although when used with serial they often need power cycling to get the comms going again. Using serial USB adapters seem to have less comms issues.

Much prefer the LM's as USB is flawless so far.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yeah the comms issues are something I wasnt too impressed with. Having to pull the power and cycle the LC-1 and then reestablish connections with Logworks/Nistune. Apart from that seems to work well
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

I haven't had any comms issues so far (touch wood), but having said that i haven't used it a heap with my new laptop, logged a couple of dyno runs and stuff, but haven't really done any tuning.
PL

Post by PL »

What's the difference LM-1 vs LC-1? Besides the LM-1 being in a box of course?

Cos my LM-1 only uses serial and it's been faultless...

PL
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

LC-1

It has no gauge (but you can add one, i use the Innovate DB Gauge) and is more 'hard wired' than the LM1. I'm not aware of any functional differences, but there might be?

It has 2 analogue outputs, 0-5v for the db gauge (customiseable) and the narrowband simulated output.
It has no other/external inputs.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

should be the same, just different packaging and display on LM1/LM2

You havent had comms issues? Show you in my R31 one day - usually on initial connection get an error code and having to pull the plugs / power to everything to power cycle the unit
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, that's why I'm a bit confused - I thought they were functionally the same too but my old LM-1 has always been solid.

PL
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Matt wrote:should be the same, just different packaging and display on LM1/LM2

You havent had comms issues? Show you in my R31 one day - usually on initial connection get an error code and having to pull the plugs / power to everything to power cycle the unit
Everytime i've hooked it up its worked first go. I have got an FTDI based USB to serial converter cable which are generally alot better than some of the other chips that are available for the USB to serial converters.
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

The sensor on my Innovate LM-1 (uses the same Bosch sensors as the LC-1) lasted about 1.25 years constantly being moved from car to car and at times having to put up with pops/bang/flames and occasionally full blown anti-lag. It eventually died one night when out mapping a lads car. Said the car was running 8 AFR on cruise. Which it certainly wasn't. lol

Wideband sensors in general don't last/are not as robust as narrowband sensors.
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, the wideband sensors certainly seem to be less durable than narrowband.

The last one I had die on the dyno was very strange. It would read fine until about 3 - 4 seconds into the pull - and then start going lean - making a trace upwards on the graph at nearly 45 degrees. JUST like when you run out of injector. Had me going there for a while - until I watched the display on the front of the wideband and it was showing an error indication from the point where things started leaning out - aaaaarrggh! :(

PL